Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 27th, 2019 16:00

Inspiron 7786 USB-C Port Issues

A bit over a month ago I purchased a new Inspiron 7786 and it's been having quirky USB issues since day one.  The biggest problem is with the USB-C port.  I use an Anker USB-C Ethernet adapter.  When I first plug it in, everything is fine:  the device is detected, it links to the network, and throughput is as-expected for my gigabit Fios service.  But if I disconnect it and later plug it back in, Windows tells me the device has malfunctioned.  Looking in Device Manager, I see an "Unknown USB device (port reset failed)" message.  The adapter works, technically, but I only get throughput of around 10 megabits, vs. closer to 700 mbps when it's functioning correctly.

The only way I can get the device to be properly detected again is to completely power off the laptop and reboot.  Simply doing a soft reboot won't do it.  I've got to kill power to the system and power back up.

It's not the network adapter.  I've tried several.  I also see the same behavior with a Dell USB-C network dongle which works correctly on my company laptop.  The issue also impacts my regular USB 3.0 ports -- both network adapters and flash drives alike -- though I can usually get those going again with only a soft reboot.

All drivers are up to date, BIOS, chipset, etc., are all on the latest versions and Windows 10 Pro is up to date.

I've tried uninstalling the various USB devices in Device Manager and letting the system reinstall drivers at reboot, but it doesn't make any difference.  I still can't unplug or swap USB-C devices without powering down, unless I want to take a significant performance hit.

Ideas?

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

July 28th, 2019 09:00

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/100643-remove-usb-selective-suspend-setting-power-options-windows.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/107967-add-remove-maximum-processor-state-power-options-windows.html

Add Remove Minimun processor-State-Power -options

This is how to bring back all 3 settings in Power Options. for me, the Command Line option did not work the 2nd option using a Reg file did.

I also found some USB  and USB C setting in my BIOS

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

July 27th, 2019 21:00

Sounds like your USB is set to sleep, I would go into your power options/ Advanced setting and set USB not to sleep automatically.  I set this on all my computers, as many times USB Devices won't wake up correctly

3 Posts

July 27th, 2019 23:00

Thank you for the suggestion, but there are no USB-related options under Power Options > Advanced.  I have the following:

• Desktop background settings
    • Slide show
  • Sleep
    • Sleep after
    • Hibernate after:
  • Power buttons and lid
    • Lid close action
    • Power button action
    • Sleep button action
  • Display
    • Turn off display after
  • Battery
    • Critical battery notifications
    • Critical battery action
    • Low battery level
    • Critical battery level
    • Low battery notification
    • Low battery action
    • Reserve battery level

I vaguely recall reading something about a USB sleep setting in some of my early Googling, and I think a Windows update removed that setting at some point... but don't quote me on that.

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

July 28th, 2019 08:00

Yes, I just checked my own setting and indeed they are gone on mine too. you can try this old fix for this by creating a new power plan. https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/114496-windows-power-option-configuration-settings-missing.html

I tried this and it did not work for me, Perhaps I  need to re-boot. I post on that Windows 10 forum if there is a solution, maybe gpedit setting or some new location. I'll post back 

3 Posts

July 28th, 2019 09:00

With some Googling I was able to make the registry edit required to restore the USB power settings, and so far it looks like this has fixed the issue!  I restored access to USB Settings > USB selective suspend settings.  I disabled that for both battery and AC power.

Thank you!

No Events found!