Inspiron

Last reply by 04-26-2020 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Inspiron G3 15 3590, hinge broken

Hi, the back of my laptop below the monitor where the hinges are located are broken. Whenever close my laptop screen, the left hinge extends further out of the G3 black rectangle and when I open the laptop there's a bulge in the bottom screen frame where the hinge is located. Is there anyway I can fix this?

Replies (50)
Not applicable

Did ever get this fixed? Mine just did the same thing and Dell said that's not covered under warranty. I might try to repair it myself.

Mine just did the same thing just now. I have been taking great care of it and just had bought mine a few months back. It looks like it's a factory defect of some sort.

Just had the same problem. It does pop back into place when closed but it pops back everytime I close it.

I'm concerned that this may damage the hinge/screen itself. It's definitely a design flaw because it happened the same exact way for me.

Bought it a couple months ago and it's been an otherwise good laptop. I'll have to go to best buy and see if it's covered for repair or replacement.

Reported a hinge defect to the customer service, and they were quick and efficient, and very helpful. They had a technician come over in just a week (since there was a typhoon), they replaced the hinge, LCD and back cover all for free! Super happy with my after-sales experience.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Has anyone figured out how to fix the hinge? I bought a G3 for my son in August, and the hinge was a little loose from the 2nd week. I finally called Dell customer service last month and they charged me $240+ to fix it. I am pretty sure it will break again, given the design.

Great if there is a way to fix it myself, the next time it breaks.

Not sure if I should keep buying Dells or switch to Lenovo, which never seem to fail.

log n to support enter your model number and SERVICE NUMBER. then download your "Service Manual" there you will find what parts are needed and how to change them out. If dell doesn't have the parts you can try https://www.parts-people.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA6IHwBRCJARIsALNjViXk-j4yWZ4WEic21GN4FvosxPU9AJeB3mNMixSS...

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.

Inspiron 13 7386
16GB RAM
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD 2nd SSD 512 GB Hynix

Precision 3440 SFF CTO BASE, Intel Xeon W-1250 (6 Core, 12M cache, base 3.3GHz, up to 4.7GHz) 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 2666MHz or 2933MHz (2933MHz requires Intel Core i7 or above) UDIMM Non-ECC Memory Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Found the service manual. While it has no description of removing the hinge, I think it is covered in the display section.

Dell-Cares agent contacted me reg. the post and I provided the service tag. Waiting for their follow up. Will post my experience once they get back to me.

Thanks

We don't have an exact information as how to disassemble hinges but the closest one would be display assembly. You may refer the steps from page 42 in the link https://dell.to/2tLVCx5;and that should help you with this.

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. To send us a private message, click our DELL-Cares username. Our Forum profile page will then appear. On the right, click "Send this user a private message".

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Adding myself to the list of victims of the design flaw in this laptop. I just spent an hour with Dell support. I sent them pictures of the broken hinge, and referred them to this board conversation. Their verdict? Accidental damage. Someone must have dropped the laptop or otherwise abused it. 

As someone who has spent many thousands of dollars on Dell products over the years, I am appalled by this cavalier attitude.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor