Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 28th, 2020 06:00

Inspiron G5 15 5590, compatible dock?

Hello,

I was looking for an adapter to connect 2 displays in displayport (or hdmi) to my Inspiron G5 15 5590 (i7-9750H rtx2060).
So I inquired about what it was possible to connect to the usb port C except that the information I found on this subject only mentioned the possibility of connecting the 2x displayport but nothing about 2x hdmi.
So I started looking for usb c -> double DP docks except that the prices of these (like for example the WD19TB) are above my budget.

So I was wondering if it was possible via the D3100 to use it to connect my 2 screens from the hdmi.

Translated with

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 28th, 2020 08:00

@RomainGn  Sorry, I just read your post again.  If DisplayPort would also work for you, then that would actually be better than HDMI.  Here is an MST hub that offers dual DisplayPort outputs and a single HDMI output, and here is a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter.  Again, it depends on the resolution of the displays you want to run.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 28th, 2020 08:00

@RomainGn  Do not use the D3100, because it uses "indirect display" technology called DisplayLink (not the same as DisplayPort), and that comes with some major drawbacks that I've written about in the post marked as the answer in this thread.

If you only want dual HDMI outputs, then look for either a USB-C MST hub that offers HDMI outputs like this one, or a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual HDMI 2.0 adapter, such as this one.  The MST hub can support dual displays up to 1440p 60 Hz or 4K 30 Hz each.  The TB3 to Dual HDMI 2.0 adapter can support dual displays up to 4K 60 Hz each.

2 Posts

July 28th, 2020 11:00

Hi, thanks for responding so quickly.

I had looked at products of this kind (1 to 2 rather than a dock that adds usb, eth,...) but not finding a known brand, I had stopped researching on it.

Afterwards, if you advise to go there and take a product of this type (all the more logical since I'm certainly not going to use all the ports of a dock), I'll follow you and trust you.

Thank you for your time spent answering me.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 28th, 2020 13:00

@RomainGn  Happy to help.  I've used StarTech MST hubs in the past and have not had an issue.  I have not personally used Thunderbolt 3 to Dual HDMI/DP adapters, but I've bought other products from multiple brands that make them (StarTech, Plugable, Sonnet, OWC, and Sabrent), and all of those brands have strong reputations for making quality products, so if I needed that type of adapter, I would be confident buying from any of those brands.

No Events found!