Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

14 Posts

February 20th, 2019 07:00

Inspiron n5110 Battery Recognized, Not Charging/Discharging

Device: Dell Inspiron n5110

Purchase Year: 2012

I am having an issue that just presented itself last night. I was compiling a java program and it was taking quite a while, and the CPU usage was 100% for.. probably close to 10 minutes. The laptop was getting hot, the cpu fan spun up, I was preparing to kill the compile so it didn't overheat, and the laptop crashed. Immediate power-off.

I powered the system back on, everything is functioning correctly, but when i unplugged the AC adapter the laptop shut off. The battery is recognized and seen by the OS, and according to the OS it's 'charging'. But it's been at 75% since. It is not charging the battery, and it's apparently not using the battery either.

I rebooted the system, holding down the fn-key to boot into the diagnostic tool, ran the basic tests, and it claims the battery is fine, 100% health, 75% charge, charging. 

Linux Upower utility reports:

native-path:          BAT0
  model:                DELL W7H3N06
  serial:               1289
  power supply:         yes
  updated:              Wed 20 Feb 2019 10:34:58 AM EST (35 seconds ago)
  has history:          yes
  has statistics:       yes
  battery
    present:             yes
    rechargeable:        yes
    state:               charging
    warning-level:       none
    energy:              54.9339 Wh
    energy-empty:        0 Wh
    energy-full:         73.26 Wh
    energy-full-design:  73.26 Wh
    energy-rate:         0.0111 W
    voltage:             11.282 V
    percentage:          74%
    capacity:            100%
    technology:          lithium-ion
    icon-name:          'battery-full-charging-symbolic'

The battery is a replacement, extended battery, and according to every utility I have to check it, the battery is functioning perfectly. The laptop recognizes the battery, but doesn't seem to want to use it as a power source.

I'm pretty certain this is due to the overheating that occurred last night.

So my concerns are, Did I fry something on the motherboard, Did i fry something in the battery, or is something else going on that I can't see? Does anybody have any suggestions or tips to help me figure this out?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 20th, 2019 08:00

Since the battery is not running down and doesn't work without the adapter, my guess is the battery has failed. Try removing it and using the adapter alone. Battery tests are not always accurate. I'm not sure if your old model will work that way but most laptops can.

14 Posts

February 20th, 2019 09:00

It works just fine without the battery attached.

So your conclusion is pretty similar to mine, that the battery is fried and needs replaced?

No Events found!