Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

7 Posts

May 10th, 2019 02:00

Installing Linux Mint on Dell G3 3579

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting Linux Mint to run on my new laptop. I thought I would be a breeze since it shipped with Ubuntu, and last time I installed Mint on a Dell it was very straightforward. However even though liveusb worked fine and installation of LM Tessa 19.1 was successfull, when I try to login I get a black screen with a cursor. I wanted to try running it with nomodeset since I suspect that nvidia gpu is giving me trouble, however I cannot access regular grub as well. I get a "minimal bash like line editing" screen instead of normal grub.

Does someone know how to resolve it or did anyone successfully install LM on this laptop?

Thanks in advance

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 17th, 2019 05:00

There is no support for Linux Mint here.

July 17th, 2019 05:00

I got my issue solved after some tries. To whomever this may concern I've solved by following the steps below:
  • Installed Windows on a part of my SSD (I'd separated half of my total memory to each system)
  • On Windows, I installed a programm called 'Universal USB Installer' (only works on Windows)
  • Downloaded a Linux ISO from the Ubuntu site
  • On Universal USB Installer I've created a bootable Pen Drive by setting the options: Link to the image

• After created the bootable pen drive I've turned off the system and then restart my PC selecting the pen drive as boot.

• Installed Linux normally on the second part of my SDD (creating a SWAP and A root directory in advanced options)
  • And then every thing works perfectly after doing this (with dual boot) hehe

Note: I've followed a tutorial to get this conclusion: link to the tutorial

That's it!

January 23rd, 2020 01:00

The freezing problem may be caused by the nouveau nvidia driver.

Disable it before the boot 

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quite spash nouveau.modeset=0"

and blacklist the nouveau kernel module

No Events found!