Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2019 05:00

Is it possible to set up dual boot (with Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10) in Inspiron 5482 laptop?

Hello,

I recently bought the Inspiron 5482 2-in-1 laptop. I want to keep the Windows 10 that it came with and install Ubuntu 18.04 as dual-boot ( I need Ubuntu for my course work, but I still want to keep Windows). I was wondering if anyone has tried this with this model and can share any experience/suggestion. Also, is a dual-boot supported by this model at all? (by the drivers etc)

I have never tried to install Ubuntu before. I would really appreciate any suggestions or help in this regard.

Thanks,

A

August 23rd, 2019 05:00

I don't know about your model, but to dual boot ubuntu/any linux you need to have windows installed in UEFI mode. Otherwise it dosen't work. If you have windows installed in legacy mode then you may have to reinstall windows in UEFI mode for the dual boot to work.

->Both OS should be in same mode. You cant have one OS in UEFI and one in Legacy.

->Be careful to backup EFI partition(100MB) of your computer in case you erase it. EFI partition contains the boot loader to boot into windows. If you delete it you cant boot into windows unless you create another EFI partition and copy the backed-up files in EFI partition.

-> After installation you will get an error while booting(happened in kali linux, not sure about ubuntu) because of the NVIDIA card. You need to add nouveau.modeset=0 to the boot params before booting. You will find lots of videos about it in youtube.

Let me know if you have any more doubts.

3 Posts

August 28th, 2019 07:00

Thanks a lot for your reply. Is it a good idea to format Windows first (using a bootable USB stick with Ubuntu) and then install Ubuntu and then again re-install Windows?

Regards,

Ananya

August 29th, 2019 01:00

I never tried that, so I can't talk on that. 

I feel there is no need to format the drive.

->create Ubuntu bootable usb.

->disable secure boot in bios

->boot into Ubuntu live. If you see an error while booting use nouveau.modeset=0 before booting in Ubuntu. Take a backup of efi partition in case something happens.

->Install Ubuntu.

->after install and restart you need to use the nouveau.modeset=0. It is required to disable the Nvidia driver for Ubuntu to boot. I don't know the reason for that. Also everytime you restart you need to write the command while on grub(as mentioned above). So for that you need to run the command sudo update-grub after booting into Ubuntu for the chances to take effect.

->enjoy.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 29th, 2019 04:00

AnanyaJ,

Unfortunately, Dell does not support Ubuntu on this computer. We have no Ubuntu drivers available for download.  

September 8th, 2019 16:00

Follow-up - I found a KB article about Dual boot of Dell systems with Ubuntu and Windows

September 8th, 2019 16:00

> Unfortunately, Dell does not support Ubuntu on this computer. We have no Ubuntu drivers available for download. 

Thanks for the head's up, Jesse.  I have two questions:

1. Does the lack of Dell-available drivers mean that there are no drivers from another reliable source, or just that Dell has not taken on the task of qualifying and supporting drivers for this system?

2. Are there other Dell laptops with support for dual boot into Windows and some Linux?

1 Message

August 23rd, 2022 02:00

Hello...

Similarly can you also please clarify the availability of drivers for ubuntu 18.04 in Dell inspiron 15 3511..

and also Teach us how we can verify driver compatibility before install ubuntu os

No Events found!