djfro
2 Bronze

Keeping computer plugged in all the time

My laptop is basically used on my desk and is plugged in/charging all the time. Will this type of use negatively effect the battery and shorten its' life? What other positive/negative effects will this have on the laptop?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DELL-Jesse L
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Keeping computer plugged in all the time

djfro,

Personally, I keep my laptops plugged in all the time. I have never had any issues.

These batteries can not be overcharged, which means that as soon as they are 100% charged, they stop charging. These batteries stop receiving energy which is bypassed directly to your laptop's power supply. So, keeping it plugged in won't harm your battery and cause much difference to the overall battery life.

You can click the link below to get some information on this subject.

Should I Leave My Laptop Plugged In All The Time?

mazenjobs
2 Bronze

Re: Keeping computer plugged in all the time

Same here! I used to keep it plugged in all the time while using my old Samsung laptop (it has a battery charge limit to only 80%). Now I just bought my new Dell 5593 and I prefer to do the same (leaving the charger plugged) all the time instead of charging the battery multiple times a day.

I work from home and I noticed when using the laptop based on battery the fans keep working and feeling an overheating while working.

Today, I decided to keep the charger plugged even after the battery charged 100%... I see no overheating, no fans running, great performance, and a stable work environment.

Hope this can help someone.

Waleed Barakat