Inspiron

Last reply by 02-23-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Keeping computer plugged in all the time

My laptop is basically used on my desk and is plugged in/charging all the time. Will this type of use negatively effect the battery and shorten its' life? What other positive/negative effects will this have on the laptop?

Replies (6)

djfro,

Personally, I keep my laptops plugged in all the time. I have never had any issues.

These batteries can not be overcharged, which means that as soon as they are 100% charged, they stop charging. These batteries stop receiving energy which is bypassed directly to your laptop's power supply. So, keeping it plugged in won't harm your battery and cause much difference to the overall battery life.

You can click the link below to get some information on this subject.

Should I Leave My Laptop Plugged In All The Time?

Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

Same here! I used to keep it plugged in all the time while using my old Samsung laptop (it has a battery charge limit to only 80%). Now I just bought my new Dell 5593 and I prefer to do the same (leaving the charger plugged) all the time instead of charging the battery multiple times a day.

I work from home and I noticed when using the laptop based on battery the fans keep working and feeling an overheating while working.

Today, I decided to keep the charger plugged even after the battery charged 100%... I see no overheating, no fans running, great performance, and a stable work environment.

Hope this can help someone.

Waleed Barakat

Same here. I also do the same with my Dell Inspiron 3501.

Dip1991

Please view information in the video below, hopefully it will help answer your question.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

No, I don't basically do that all the time. but during gaming, it is recommended to plug in your pc while gaming.

7 Gold

And let me add that I too keep my laptop plugged in constantly and my wife does the same with her laptop with no adverse battery effects.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built with GIGABYTE B560M DS3H AC budget build with an i3 10100
Real work on a Latitude E5430
Latest Solutions
Top Contributor