Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

2 Posts

April 17th, 2020 11:00

Keyboard keys not working properly

Hello!

I have a rather strange problem, and I cannot find the answer anywhere. I've been using my laptop (Dell Inspiron 7577) almost every day for 2 years now. Recently I decided to upgrade it a bit, so I installed SSD and another stick of RAM (16gb total now) and it seemed it will work flawlessly. I mean it does, it's fast and responsive.

But lately I'm starting to have some problems with my keyboard (european layout). Some of the keys just don't want to work all the time. And it's not random keys. First, it started to happen with a line of keys 0 ? P ; < and >. Then I noticed AltGr started to "lag", and a few days back 2 W S and X started to lag aswell. It all works after a few hard presses or multiple key presses, but it's very frustrating when typing and/or gaming. All keys not working is random. Sometimes only AltGr won't work, sometimes everything works and sometimes none of mentioned keys work. 

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling keyboard driver, rebooting laptop in safe mode (where everything works normally, so I don't think this is hardware issue) but no success. Maybe it has to do something with heat as these keys are right on top of fans?

Is there any other way to find the solution or is this circuit/motherboard related?
Thanks in advance.

Regards

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 17th, 2020 12:00

If using external USB keyboard has no problem, your keyboard needs replacing.

May 12th, 2020 19:00

I have this issue too.

I have bought a brand new Inspiron 15 5593 on March 2020.

First month, the keyboard works well.

The second month, some keys start to lag sometimes, even in Windows safe mode. Those are B, N, /, left and down arrows.

After 2-3 weeks, I have realized that those keys lag when the laptop gets warm about 15 mins after starting up.

My temporarily solution is to use USB keyboard. It works fine.

247 Posts

May 14th, 2020 04:00

First thing to try is go into Device manager and uninstall keyboard driver and reboot allowing for OS to install the driver again. Since you said you had been inside notebook to upgrade storage device. It is possible that you disturbed the ribbon cable connecting keyboard to motherboard. 

2 Posts

May 18th, 2020 12:00

I am having the same problem!

No Events found!