Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 12th, 2018 12:00

Keyboard not working on Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series

I searched thru the community and Internet and could not locate a fix for my keyboard not working...alot of ideas but none worked.

I just found a fix and want to share it.....if the left side of your laptop keyboard is not working (including the caps light not being lit) on the Inspiron 15, 5000 series, do this.....

1. Turn the laptop off

2. Disconnect any USB's to the computer

3. Disconnect the power cord

4. Remove the battery

5. Wait 5 seconds then open the lid and press the on button and hold down for 15 seconds. This resets your BIOS

6. Replace battery and with power cord an USB's still unplugged, turn machine back on and your keyboard should be working normally once again.....then plug in power cord and USB's.

Worked like a charm for me....hope it helps you too.

1 Message

August 19th, 2018 02:00

MtnSquid.

I have to admit that I was skeptical to try your solution. But after resetting all of Windows and Dell's setting, doing a restore point back a couple days and ultimately, reinstalling Windows to see if that would solve it. Nope. All a waste of time. I was about to order a new keyboard intill I stumbled across your post about 30 minutes ago. 

So, thank you for posting your solution. It fixed my PC's keyboard in a matter of a couple minutes. 

Thanks Again

1 Message

September 12th, 2018 10:00

Did not work. Still I can not find " at symbol )arroba in spanish, and other symbols do not correspond to my key board symbols

September 20th, 2018 17:00

Did a restart and my keyboard just quit working. Tried a couple things with no result. This worked like a charm! Nice fix 👍

1 Message

October 1st, 2018 13:00

Thank you so much for the info. It worked like a charm! I had thought it was irreparable and thought I’d give it one last shot. Saved me a lot of money and grief.

1 Message

October 24th, 2018 09:00

Thank you for posting! Just before finding your post, I thought, "Maybe I should completely turn off my computer and see if that corrects the problem." I usually just put it to "sleep" every evening. For my case, simply restarting worked; but good to have your experience as a fix to use of this happens in the future.

January 10th, 2019 19:00

How do I remove the battery? I'm having sticky keys where A, D, and F work, but they only create one integer; if i hold it down, it only creates one A, D, or F. 

But more importantly, how do I remove a battery for the Inspiron 15000?

• 

16.7K Posts

January 11th, 2019 05:00

geegee.creemz,

Click the link below and choose your computer model. Once you have chosen your computer model you can click to download the online manual. The manual provides information for removing/replacing parts.

Dell Drivers, Downloads and Manuals.

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

February 18th, 2019 18:00

Followed your instructions but could not find the PN for the back lit keyboard for my Inspiron 15 5000 Series (5567). Service Tag:  Express Service Code:

1 Message

March 11th, 2019 01:00

Hi guys, I tried this on my Dell Inspiron 11, 3000 series, because the letters 'L' and 'O' were not working on my laptop. It worked for me as well. Just a note for anyone else who gives it a try, when you snap the battery cover off, it feels like you're going to break it. Don't be scared, just go slow, and it does work. Also, when you take the battery out, it is still attached to the laptop by a couple of wires, so what you're doing is flipping the battery out but NOT TAKING IT AWAY FROM THE LAPTOP ALTOGETHER. OP, and the rest of you guys who suggested it, thank you very much. Good luck! (SEE?! My letters L and O are working like magic!!!)

1 Message

September 28th, 2019 23:00

I found a solution to a similar issue! It was a faulty ribbon cable connection in my case. Hope this helps someone.

The symptoms:

So, I have been dealing with a similar issue where keys work on their own whim. Some keys (especially the bottom row keys in my case) stop working very frequently. Sometimes a vigorous shake or knock fixes it and sometimes not even that. After trying all solutions out there and failing, today I finally decided that this was a hardware problem and took the laptop apart. And I found the problem and solved it in a few minutes.

The cause and my solution:

The issue is from the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard. When you take the laptop apart, you can see the wide ribbon cable that is located close to the center. You will probably also notice that it is flimsily taped to the frame and to the connector. You will need to find a way to keep the ribbon cable securely attached to the connection (your solution just needs to be better than Dell's). The somewhat sketchy solution that worked in my case was inserting a very thin piece of plastic along with the ribbon cable and supergluing everything together. I will leave it up to you to decide whether you want to follow my solution or try your own. But hopefully, you will have a properly functioning keyboard by the end.

Rant to Dell:

And now, my dissatisfaction with Dell regarding this issue. It seems like this issue was known to Dell and instead of a redesign (say using a better and more secure connector), they just taped the whole thing!!! I am so very surprised that this flimsy application of tape has made it to the consumer product in this case.

Since apparently no one at Dell was able to diagnose what took me a few minutes, here's my hypothesis of why this issue arises in the first place. Since the frame is plastic and bends very easily, taping the ribbon cable to the frame and then attaching it to a connection on the motherboard means that every time the laptop frame is flexed, the cable is pushed in and out of the connection. Since the laptop is flexed quite easily and frequently, this leads to a bad connection within that matter of a year or two (depending on usage).

I hope Dell doesn't make silly mistakes like this one too often and that they stop offering silly advice on their forum (like, did you try restarting your laptop...).

1 Message

December 28th, 2019 09:00

Brilliant! Thankyou! Thanksalott..!!

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2020 01:00

Thanks, did you have to take the laptop apart and remove the keyboard assembly ? Am having the same issue where some of the keys are not working (w-s-x-2-caps lock). 

1 Message

March 20th, 2020 05:00

This actually worked!!

This solution needs to be the first link when someone searches this problem on Google.

The very fact that I'm writing this reply (signed up with Google, verified the account, etc.) is proof of how effective this method is.

Thank you.

1 Message

March 29th, 2020 01:00

Hi  

I am having same keyboard issue Inspiron 13 5000 series. 5-6 keys are not working.

1) I have already cleaned the keyboard with vacuum and by removing problematic keys one by one and cleaning it. It didn't work.

2) I downloaded the latest BIOS update ( Inspiron 5368_7368_5568_7569_7778) , but still didn't solve the issue.

3) Today, I reset the keyboard by removing batteries . After that, it worked for 15-20 mintues and same issue re-occured. 

Please help me solved the issue.

April 11th, 2020 14:00

That worked for me. Thanks! 

No Events found!