Smalljoe
2 Bronze

Laptop screen flashes red green blue black on start up

I have an Inspiron 15 5000. fairly new.

when i power up it goes straight to flashing red blue green black even before the dell badge can come up.

i have tried restating and holding down he power button for 30 seconds - but nothing helps.

i have tried also pressing F8 to get to the diagnotics page but theres no response.

please help

thanks

Joe

0 Kudos
11 Replies
robert p
7 Gold

Re: Laptop screen flashes red green blue black on start up

Hi Smalljoe,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Video distortion can be caused by a variety of issues.  The problem could be with the LCD, the GPU, or the motherboard itself. I see you've tried several different troubleshooting methods, but don't see if you tried the F12 at startup.  Please try that and be sure to run the video diagnostics.  Post back with any error messages and the users here may respond with more assistance.

Otherwise contact Tech support if you still have warranty on the computer.  You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896  or the out of warranty department at 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm .  

0 Kudos
Smalljoe
2 Bronze

Hi Dell-Robert P,

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately i cant get to the diagnostics page - pressing F12 doesn't do anything. It just keeps on flashing colours.

Thanks

Joe

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
6 Gallium

Just making sure you're performing the F12 key steps correctly.....

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals (except AC adapter)

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12  key continuously until you see Preparing One Time Boot Menu in top corner of screen.

3. In Dell Preboot menu, select Diagnostic. After quick test finished, select Video, and then click on Thorough Test Mode. Repot back any error code.   

By the way, I'm assuming windows 10 is on the system....

0 Kudos
Smalljoe
2 Bronze

HI LSUFAN51,

thanks for the detail above - i tried doing as you advise for the F12 reboot.But no Joy, as soon as i press the power button the screen flashes white then into the sequence of colours: red, green blue, black.

Yes i am on Windows 10

thanks

Joe

0 Kudos
robert p
7 Gold

Have you tried troubleshooting with Dell Tech Support?  It sounds as though your motherboard may have failed and would need to be replaced.

You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896  or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

0 Kudos
PCXterminator
2 Bronze

Have you tried an external monitor?

I have the same issue with an E7450, but when docked, with separate monitors, it will show video and allow tests to be run.

Pretty sure I have a dying LCD or cable.

Off to Dell to get replacements.

0 Kudos
ernest64
2 Bronze

This is for you, and anyone in the future who has such a problem. The sreen flashes different colors at start, because the logic board where the video cable connects, isn't getting a signal from the motherboard. This is caused by a bad lcd screen connector cable. The cable, where it goes through the hinge, is bent back and forth, ever so slightly. And over time makes small breaks in the cable wires. If you can connect to an external monitor, and your laptop boots into your OS without fail, then the problem is not your LCD screen. Replace the LCD screen connector cable, and this should fix your problem. This is something you can do yourself, because there are videos on youtube that will show you how. $15 to $20 for a cable. Easy fix. For all of you, that this helps; Your welcome.
Chetan1691
2 Bronze

I am having the same problem, but it is slightly different...
When I keep windows key pressed while booting, it boots up normally.
If I don't press windows key, however, the laptop screen goes into the color sequence...
You see, the laptop is working just fine with exception of a single anomaly...

JonPienkowski
2 Bronze

Same thing here with a client computer. Maybe a BIOS update or something is out/or is needed?

0 Kudos