Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

6 Posts

April 7th, 2020 12:00

Laptop will not load passed Dell sign

Hello, After shutting down yesterday with Windows 10 updates I have started up today but my laptop will not load passed the Dell logo saying it is trying to undo updates. This keeps repeating. I have pressed f2 and f12 but I cannot see where I can start in safe mode or try recover. My laptop is about 10 years old and I believe it is an Inspiron. 

Can anyone help? 
Thank you

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please list exact Dell model number. Example: Dell Inspiron 3543

You can find it by entering service tag number onto the link below. After, you should see model number in your Dell Product Support page.

Support | Dell US

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04

How to find a Dell Service Tag (Official Dell Tech Support)

https://youtu.be/sDPVSHHN-SY

6 Posts

Apologies it is a Studio 17/1745

service tag -

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 7th, 2020 13:00

1. Power off the system

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 continuous until you see Preparing One Time Boot Menu in top right corner of screen. In Dell Preboot screen, select diagnostic. Report back any error code.

Note: Please don't wait until the Dell logo to appear, soon as you power on system, start tapping F12 key  

6 Posts

April 7th, 2020 14:00

Hi, no issues on diagnostics, it’s only occurred after windows 10 updates yesterday. 
shall I try anything else? 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 7th, 2020 16:00

There are some recovery tools in windows 10 installation media that you could use to get windows 10 up and running again. Here are some of the recovery tools :

1. System Restore -  This option takes your computer back to an earlier point in time such as when computer ran normally. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

2. Startup Repair -  Fix problems that keep windows from loading

3. Startup Settings - Use this option to boot into safe mode with networking

The windows 10 installation media also give you the option to reinstall windows 10. First, create Windows 10 installation media from the link below. You will need a working computer and a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space.

Download Windows 10 - microsoft.com

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After you created the windows 10 installation media:

1. Insert the windows 10 installation media into a USB port of the now working computer

2. Power computer off.

3. Power on computer, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen.

4. In Dell Preboot Menu, select the USB flash drive (windows 10 media) under UEFI BOOT

In the Windows Setup screen, select Language and then Next. You could select option to Repair Your Computer or reinstall windows 10. The Repair Your Computer option will give you the list of recovery tools. To get there, select:

- Troubleshoot 

- Advanced Option

LFmWUB2hstRpRYmg2KRqFK-650-80.png

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 7th, 2020 16:00

Recovery tools image:

sys rest.png

6 Posts

April 7th, 2020 17:00

Hi, thanks for your suggestion I was hoping for this option however I cannot find anyway to get into safe mode. It is an older Dell studio 1745 laptop with limited options in f2 & f12. 

I have also pressed f8 with no luck. 

Of

5.6K Posts

@LSUFAN51 

Complicated for most users.  It is a shame there isn't an easier way.

Would booting into Safe Mode be easier?

5.6K Posts

@Emma84 

@LSUFAN51 's method though complicated will work.

But see if #5 in https://www.minitool.com/data-recovery/how-to-start-windows-10-in-safe-mode-009.html  works for you.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 7th, 2020 18:00

F8 key doesn't work with windows 10. Safe mode (with networking) is in Startup Settings (window 10 media). The tools are there to help save your data, photos, documents and other important stuff. Anyway, I think it's probably best to reinstall windows 10.  

1 Message

July 19th, 2020 08:00

Hi. Its a bit strange. I have the same laptop studio 1745 and its 10 years old as well. And 14 or 15 july i had some updates. And after these updates my laptop is dead. Screen is black not showing at all. when i connected external monitor I have error Video TDR Failure and i cant do nothing. Looks like my laptop is killed by update?

6 Posts

July 19th, 2020 08:00

Hi, yes the updates killed my laptop back in April. In the end I had to get a new hard drive and reload Windows. It’s working fine now and much faster which shows after 10 years how good the laptop is. This might help! Good luck. 

No Events found!