Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

30 Posts

October 4th, 2021 19:00

Microphone, Audio Jack Detection Issues with Latest Driver - Inspiron 13 7370

On Friday, Windows Update helpfully pushed the latest Realtek Audio driver to my Inspiron 13 7370.  It was version 6.0.9228.1.

With this version installed, my laptop's built-in microphone volume was so low that it was nearly unusable.  I double checked the level settings (100) and boost (from +0 db to +30 db, nothing helped).

Next, I downloaded the driver from Dell's site - https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=6r00g&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-13-7370-laptop

This uninstalled the driver, asked for a reboot, reinstalled the driver, and asked for a reboot once again.  Still, the mic was too quiet.  Next, I manually installed Waves MaxxAudio from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/waves-maxxaudio-pro-for-dell/9nb9srtl2kpt?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab .

After rebooting, the built-in mic worked fine, like it did before, and the levels were good.  However, I was unable to get my external speakers or wired headset to work.  Not only did the popup not appear when plugging things into the jack in the laptop, audio was simply never delivered to the jack (or taken in from the headset mic).  I double checked that the checkbox to enable the prompt on insertion popup was enabled (within MaxxAudio, under the Playback tab, under the Advanced options).

I tried restarting, then uninstalling Waves MaxxAudio.  Still, I couldn't get output on the external speakers or headset (nor input from the headset mic).  Reinstalling Waves MaxxAudio after that didn't help, either.

Is this yet another bad Realtek driver version?  Is anyone else having these sorts of issues?

I'd roll back the driver, but of course, Windows acts like there was no previous driver to roll back to, even though I can see in the hardware events tab that the previous driver was installed last November.

Thanks

October 26th, 2021 10:00

We have the exact same problem with several computers after running an update with Dell Command Update. Did you ever find a solution for this?

30 Posts

October 26th, 2021 11:00

No, I have not.

The next time I have the laptop in front of me and have some time, I'll plan to delete the audio device from Device Manager, then restart, then manually install drivers (either an older version I find on the web or the one provided by Dell).  But I have no clue if it will work or if Windows Update will still override the driver at some point and break it again.  (I already had the ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate  value in the registry set to block Windows Update driver updates, but apparently that wasn't actually respected by MS.)

If you find a solution, please let me know.  Dell is useless, all they do is send PMs asking for a Service Tag.  The device is long out of warranty, so the service tag is irrelevant.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2021 12:00

Hi I didn't achive fix waves, however if u choose the generic microsft driver instead of realtek, the headphones work properly. Furthermore you have to stop automatic driver installation otherwise windows will set realtek as default driver again.

1 Message

November 3rd, 2022 09:00

I've got the same problem , been here an hour ...not much hope, 

No Events found!