Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

September 20th, 2020 08:00

Motherboard fried after bios / firmware update

The motherboard fried after bios update....In less than 48hrs it was replaced onsite.....Great service from Dell support team..Sally Garcia & technician Joey at my home..'' Outstanding.......thank- you so much !

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

September 20th, 2020 09:00

that is refreshingly good news.

293 Posts

September 20th, 2020 10:00

That is outstanding service by DELL!  Now a happy camper.

November 12th, 2020 22:00

First I will start with: I am truly glad and happy for you that you received timely and helpful service from Dell. I, unfortunately, do not share your same experience.

Last Friday, after a BIOS update, I shut down my XPS13, and it never came back. The update fried the hard drive. It is my own fault for not backing up my data - so I lost everything.

It was my only laptop. I am a student, in my third year of business school, and let me tell you: trying to source a computer at various libraries during a pandemic, when you need specific software apps required to complete assignments (i.e. Power BI, Tableau, etc.) is nearly impossible when you’re not the administrator and cannot download these applications. This whole situation snowballed into a technological nightmare. Not to mention broke my entire student budget for the month.

I have been given a response of “no eta” for my replacement hard drive due to delays in Dell’s supply chain from China. I get it. The pandemic has delayed everything for mostly everyone these days. What I do not agree with, but have been forced to accept, is the fact that Dell required me to renew a $300 service warranty just to fix the problem it was at fault for in the first place. Google search it! It is all over Dell’s forums, dating back to 2003, how BIOS updates can corrupt the recognition of the hard drive and also fry a computer. Please tell me Dell: what am I even paying for if you cannot provide the service or the replacement in a timely fashion, as promised in the warranty.

What kind of business structure puts the onus on its consumers to pay for its mistakes? Furiously disappointed with this form of business making. 

As they say, in business, news travels fast. A satisfied customer tells two or three people about a positive experience, while an unhappy customer tells a dozen or more. In my future endeavours and successful businesses I plan to grow - I will never outfit with Dell. 

I am grateful to Dell’s friendly tech support reps, Hardik and Mo, who apologized profusely on behalf of its company. But I hate that I am stuck doing business with Dell.

“Thank you for choosing Dell”?! GFY.

293 Posts

November 13th, 2020 08:00

Yes, one is at RISK for wanting to update their BIOS, from the all ready factory TESTED motherboard, in your laptop.  If your laptop has been performing just fine, change the BIOS at your own RISK.  There are articles on the internet explaining BIOS, should I or shouldn't I update.

This will explain:  https://www.pcworld.com/article/258308/should_i_update_my_bios_.html 

As the article states, the Intel BIOS chip is on the mother board.  It can lock up your hardware.  If in fact it was your BIOS update that caused the issue,  you might need a new Motherboard or computer, not a replacement hard drive.  Yes, DELL, should WARN, and don't know why they even suggest.  For SECURITY purposes????  I don't think so.

DELL has some nice deals right now, on their website.  They do state delivery times, if you can believe.  In fact, I am contemplating buying a new 14" Inspiron w 11th Generation.  I should donate a couple of my 11" to a local elementary school, as a matter of fact. 

November 13th, 2020 11:00

Yes, I too came across some “update BIOS at your own risk” message boards and how-to’s after the fact. 

Will definitely exercise more caution from here on.

I just wish this could’ve been better avoided - but alas such as life!

Good idea donating your old laptops to elementary schools. I gave my old MacBook away. Only reason I got a Dell was because I needed windows for most of the school work we do. In retrospect - I wish I would’ve gone into a Staples or Best Buy and gotten from a box store with their more affordable service warranties rather than directly from Dell.

No Events found!