Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Message

December 26th, 2019 20:00

Oculus Rift S Assistance

Hello, I just bought an Oculus Rift S to use with my laptop. I own the Dell G7 15 (7588), which has no DisplayPort inputs, so I purchased a USB Type-C - to - DisplayPort Adapter. On the Oculus app, the DisplayPort isn't connecting. I've read from a previous forum (https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Does-dell-inspiron-series-7000-can-run-the-Oculus-rift-s/m-p/7341985#M58361) that the use of the USB Type-C won't support the Oculus Rift S since it doesn't have a direct connection with the NVIDIA GPU, with the exception being the precision 7000 series. That being said, would anyone be able to tell me if my particular machine would be equipped to run the Oculus Rift S, and also give me a tutorial on setting all that up? Any answers or suggestions are greatly appreciated

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 26th, 2019 21:00

@benthecloud  open NVIDIA Control Panel on your system and go to the PhysX Settings area.  You'll find a graphic there that will show which GPU has direct control of any attached displays.  Connect a display to your system through that adapter and see which GPU controls it.  If it shows as the Intel GPU, then unfortunately there's no way to get the Rift S to work on that system.  That's the likely outcome of this story based on what you've already posted.  If the GPU output wired to the USB-C port was controlled by the NVIDIA GPU, then the Rift S likely would have just started working, so the fact that it isn't suggests that it's controlled by the Intel GPU.

No Events found!