Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

2 Posts

March 26th, 2020 12:00

SSD upgrade did not work (boot problem) inspiron 5577

Hi, l have dell inspiron 5577 with 120gb ssd + 1tb hdd. And now l want to upgrade my ssd to the larger one. The old one was Toshiba sata ssd, and l choose to buy 500gb crucial p1 m.2 nvme. l wanted to upgrade it without reinstalling windows, so l used "macrium reflect" software to clone the disk. (from old Toshiba to new crucial). And l use a USB adapter to connect new ssd. After successful cloning, l disconnect old Toshiba ssd and inserted a new one to the same slot. As l know from tutorials It should be booted automatically, because l 've already removed old ssd. But it did not work. So, in the boot menu, l disabled the safe boot mode and change to legacy mode. As a first boot media l select new ssd but it did not also work. ("not bootable media"). According to the manual, nvme M.2 2280 is compatible with the motherboard. But l couldn't boot the from new ssd. In the forum there are similar discussions, but my situation is a bit different, l want to upgrade from ssd to ssd, (not from hdd to ssd), so it is the same slot. What would you recommend? is it impossible to do it without reinstalling windows? 

• 

25.1K Posts

March 27th, 2020 06:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

1.5K Posts

March 27th, 2020 10:00

At this point, you need to start over. switching from UEFI to legacy destroyed your OS. So first thing is to set your system back to UEFI turn safe boot back on. Put your old SSD in your External case. Boot F12 select UEFI USB for your MR Recovery USB to boot.

So start over with MR this time clone the entire disk, expand your C: Partition to fit the new SSD follow the directions  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LClr3FPg4_4

2 Posts

March 28th, 2020 03:00

Thanks for the prompt reply. There is more than one partition, should l clone all of them? and after cloning, l entered new sdd to slot. Instruction after that l did not get it. Let's say l connect old ssd with an external case and make a recovery USB via macrium. What should l do then? in the safe mode l cannot select boot media. It does it automatically, and it did not boot it from new ssd.

1.5K Posts

March 28th, 2020 10:00

Please follow the directions in the video.

Yes, you must clone the ENTIRE Disk/SSD If you expect it to boot up and work.

If you need step by step tutorial that you can print out

1 Message

May 1st, 2020 19:00

Same problem, slightly different spec.

Inspiron 15 5577 with 128gb toshiba m.2 sata SSD and 1TB hdd. 

Trying to upgrade the ssd to 500gb WD Black m.2 NVMe drive:

1) new drive in a usb caddy

2) cloned entire drive (have tried Macrium reflect and acronis true image WD edition - both seem to work ok)

3) swap the ssd’s

4) won’t boot.

have tried deleting boot entries in the bios and adding them again. I can still boot both Linux partitions I have on the hdd (their boot entries are in the efi partition on the ssd). I can put the old ssd back, rebuild the bios boot options and boot windows still.

with the new drive installed, I can’t even use dell os recovery. Freshly downloaded and installed. Newly created usb recovery flash drive. The recovery environment will only run with legacy boot rom turned on and hdd unplugged (there is a known issue from 2018 that mentions an incompatibility between the NVMe and sata drivers... There is a dell support article that says I need to disable the sata device in the bios - but there is no such bios option. but the article says that has been fixed in the latest dell win10 recovery media....). But even when the RE runs, I select the options to wipe data and re-install and it hangs at the ‘checking usb drive’ stage. The RE ‘repair’ option doesn’t find a fault.

hellpppp!!!!

1.5K Posts

May 1st, 2020 19:00

you need to boot the recover USB in UEFI mode F12 select UEFI USB. If you trying to set up as legacy mode Clean install is the answer.

No Events found!