Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

April 27th, 2022 11:00

Studio 1558 laptop has video problems.

2010 Studio 1558 laptop recently has issues with display.  I ran full Dell Utility/Diagnostics at startup, and scanned thoroughly for viruses. All hardware is good except for the error noted in the screenshots below. The LCD display is hit / miss for showing anything at startup  ... so I needed to use an extension monitor to show this display.  I reverted the display driver to the default MS display driver which allows the LCD display to work but not reliably.

I've seen lots of posts on similar problems. My question is, considering the laptop is 12 years old, is it worth having it repaired and does the info below identify the problem?

20220427_080904.jpg

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

May 2nd, 2022 04:00

After lots of trial and error changes, I think I've identified the problem. I noticed that often the touchpad mouse pointer would freeze.  I reverted the touch pad driver to the default "PS/2 Compatible Mouse" driver (and changed the Display driver back to the AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series driver) and the problem seems to be fixed! 

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

May 15th, 2022 14:00

Well the problem was not fixed!  The video problem returned so after more tests and a full reinstall of Win10 21H2, I'm confident the problem has been resolved. So here is my summary of the problems and the steps I took to (hopefully) finally fix this. The Dell 1558 runs faster and quieter now (fan is rarely on at high speed):

Dell Studio Laptop Repair & Disassembly  

No Events found!