5 Rhenium

Re: Switched SATA settings from RAID to AHCI, broke computer

Open msconfig.exe and set your system to boot into Safe Boot on the boot tab.  Reboot and go into the Bios and change the SATA controller to AHCI.  

Allow the system to reboot back into SAFE Mode.  Use msconfig.exe to change back to a Normal startup on the General tab. 

Reboot and the system should boot back into Windows.  If something were to go wrong, reboot into the Bios and change it back to RAID.

Worked Fine - I have a 2020 7070 SFF and had not looked at a  Bios in years . This New Dell Version is NOT user friendly .

To save everyone grief here is the code

The switch is hidden in the Sata Settings under General

Just turn the AHCI & Raid off 

It threatens you , but if you have it set too boot to safe mode , you're good , just ignore 

After switching back to normal I had the original Miniscule (256Gb) NVME and the new Terabyte hybrid (that I had Cloned the OS to)  as the boot disc

I have a 1tb MVme on order that I will clone the OS back to 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Saltgrass, the Safe Mode boot trick worked perfectly for me.  I was able to switch to AHCI mode, with no other changes.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Switched SATA settings from RAID to AHCI, broke computer.

I changed the BIOS from RAID to ACHI and the laptop would not load and Windows 10 states it was unable to load and try to recover.  It kept saying that Windows 10 could not be loaded.  I reverted back to RAID and it started working again.  You have to press F12 during booting and you will have access to the BIOS.  I'm attempting to clone the SSD to a larger SSD (Samsung) but unfortunately Samsung doesn't support RAID cloning.  I have a Lenovo and changing RAID to ACHI worked so I don't understand why a Dell laptop would not do the same.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

When you have the system Bios set to SATA - RAID, you are running the NVMe drive using the Intel controller. Since the Samsung Magician software will not recognize the drive in that configuration, it makes sense the migration utility will also not recognize the drive. If you want to change the drive to a NVMe controller, open msconfig.exe and set the system to boot back into SAFE boot on the boot tab. Reboot the system and go into the Bios and change the SATA controller to AHCI. Once that is done, save the settings and allow the system to reboot back into safe mode. Once in safe mode, use msconfig.exe again and set the system back to a normal boot. Let the system reboot and you should be fine. If it doesn't work correctly, just go back into the bios and change it back to RAID and start over.
3 Silver

@Merl.mayhem wrote:

O dell inspiron m6800, 250gb ssd & 250gb hdd

i went into bios settings and switched SATA settings from RAID to AHCI.

now it will not boot to hdd or ssd.

Now i can no longer reach boot options screen, system diagnostics, bios settings etc... I just get a black screen with power on.

I have the exact same thing, but the other way around. After changing the BIOS setting from AHCI to RAID, Windows (10) presents a BSOD. Which is obvious. So just reboot the machine and change the BIOS setting back should remedy the problem. Only problem: there's no longer a BIOS around. After pressing the power button, the fans come on and that's it. No beeps. No screen. No keyboard lights. Nothing. Powering off / on doesn't do anything. In fact, even the power light in the power switch doesn't light up anymore. Only the fans work. Pulled the battery - only for a couple of minutes. No difference. Cleared the BIOS setting with the designated jumper. And now it doesn't do anything at all. Not even the fans run. Only thing working is a yellow LED on the mother board. Disconnected all peripherals, pulled out the graphics card, memory, Wifi-module and SSD module. Nothing. Dead as a dodo.

Ok, so looks like the mother board gave up. No worries, I have another XPS 8500. Made sure it runs fine. Then reboot into the BIOS and also on this machine changed the setting from AHCI to RAID. And guess what. After the expected BSOD, like the other one, it no longer works. No screen. No beeps. No keyboard lights. No way to get into the BIOS.

Seriously? Changing a BIOS setting renders a machines useless? This can't be. There must be a way to get it going again, so please tell me what to do?

Simon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Managed to revive one of the machines by removing the battery for a prolonged period of time. But that won't do for the other machine - it's still dead as a dodo. Although, when I press the on/off button rapidly, the fans do come on a brief moment. But that's it. Any other trick to get this thing working, or is it brick? Simon
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

@Merl.mayhem, @Simon Weel I ran into the exact same issue with XPS 8920 desktop. Did you manage to find a solution?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Hi Leon,

No, pc is scrap....

Simon