Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Message

January 22nd, 2021 08:00

Touchpad replacement

I have a refurbished Inspiron 15 3567.  For a couple of years, the buttons on the touch pad haven't been working well.  Sometimes I press a button and nothing happens, and I have to try several times to get it to register. If I try to highlight a block of text or drag and drop something it doesn't work because the button disengages before I'm done.  If I push down hard towards the edge of the touchpad I can sometimes drag and drop things.  Is the solution to replace the touchpad?  If so, I'm comfortable doing that myself.  Is the touchpand sensor module (part #4HHPF) the only part that I would need, or is there anything else?  Thanks!    

10 Elder

• 

23.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2021 10:00

Before you start buying hardware, remove the base cover of the system and the battery.  Check it for signs of swelling.

If the battery begins to swell, the first sign is often a touchpad or touchpad keys that are difficult to press or that don't register a press, since the battery is just below the touchpad.

If the battery is at all swollen, leave it out of the system and dispose of it outside your home or office.  The system will run on AC only until you can order a replacement.

]

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 22nd, 2021 10:00

2 Posts

October 16th, 2021 15:00

Did you ever get an answer? I need to replace the trackpad for the same reason as well.

3 Apprentice

• 

552 Posts

October 16th, 2021 19:00

The issue is likely worn buttons. Press lightly on the touchpad where you would normally press to click. Do you hear a click? If so the button(s) are probably dirty. If you don't hear an audible click, then the button is likely worn. Either case, the touchpad will have to be replaced to completely resolve the problem.

If left-clicking is the issue, you can configure the touchpad so that tapping anywhere registers as a left-click and double-tapping without lifting your finger on the 2nd tap registers as a "hold", for highlighting, drag & dropping, etc. This option has a bit of a learning curve to it, especially when a click accidentally occurs when you don't expect it, probably why some users prefer to turn off this option. However, if you can live with and adapt to this feature, then you can continue using the touchpad without replacing it.

No Events found!