Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

8 Posts

November 5th, 2019 22:00

Unable to boot on Linux live USB stick

Hi,

I've got a new Inspiron 5000 2-1 and I want to boot on e USB live stick to install Ubuntu on it.

With F12 key I can see the Usb stick and choice to boot on it. But after that, I get this message : "initramfs unpacking failed : Decoding failed".

I use this usb stick to install Ubuntu on a new ASUS laptop without problem, and the inspiron don't success to launch a clonezilla system too.

I'v tested with or without secure boot, with or without sata or not sata hdd without success. I can't choice legacy bios (no such option)
Could someone help me ?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 6th, 2019 06:00

It seems the newest Dell systems don't support Legacy BIOS booting anymore, possibly in preparation for the fact that Intel has announced that their CPUs will no longer support Legacy BIOS booting starting in 2021, I believe.  So you'll need a Linux Live stick that supports UEFI booting, which involves using a kernel that supports UEFI and partitioning the stick properly for UEFI.  Unfortunately I don't use Linux much, so I can't give you detail beyond that, but I would imagine there are step-by-step guides for setting up a UEFI boot Linux Live stick available out there.

590 Posts

November 6th, 2019 10:00

Likely a bad/corrupt/unreadable ISO or problems with USB stick and your system or RAM.  I'd re-download ISO to a different USB stick and try again.  If you use Rufus (note portable Rufus version requires no install) and tutorial on Ubuntu's site here it will create a hybrid boot which should work regardless of whether booting UEFI or Legacy BIOS/CSM.

4 Posts

September 19th, 2020 23:00

I am in the process to install Ubuntu on Dell Windows 10 Desktop. When I tried to boot on a bootable Ubuntu Bionic USB stick created via UNetbootin, I got the same bug: "0.361616 initramfs unpacking failed: Decoding Failed". May I ask how to fix it? On net some people have suggested: change COMPRESS=lz4 to COMPRESS=gzip in the file /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf, and run the command: sudo update-initramfs -u However, on my desktop I do not have Ubuntu yet. Any possible way to fix it without having Ubuntu? What about creating a bootable Ubuntu USB stick via Rufus as suggested by Techgee? Thank you!

1 Message

September 20th, 2020 06:00

Are you writing the USB device as MBR or GPT? You need to select which file system is supported on your computer. Also, the bootloader may not be able to see the linux in the disk you prepared. In such cases, you can try to write the iso image with a different file system.

4 Posts

September 20th, 2020 22:00

Thank webdeyazilim for the comments. I do not think that on UNetbootin and Universal USB Installer there is a choice for MBR or GPT. For the Ubuntu Live USB created by Universal USB Installer, it could not be recognized when I start the computer and press F12. Any further comments? Thanks.

4 Posts

September 21st, 2020 00:00

I have also tried a bootable Ubuntu USB stick created by Rufus. On the bootloader, unfortunately, the Ubuntu stick does not show up either, even though the security boot has tuned off. I use UEFI as the boot mode since it seems that Legacy mode is not available anymore. Has anyone successfully booted a brand-new Dell desktop from a bootable Ubuntu USB stick? 

4 Posts

September 21st, 2020 10:00

The official site of Dell:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln288683/converting-your-hard-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt?lang=en

says: "To boot your PC in UEFI mode, you will need to use a drive formatted using the GPT drive format". The partition style on my machine is GPT, and the bootable Ubuntu flash drive in UEFI mode, created by Rufus, is in the GPT format. Unfortunately, the bootable Ubuntu flash drive does not show up on the bootloader either. Any comments? Thanks.

1 Message

November 14th, 2022 00:00

You need to do whatever file type your computer supports. For example, does it support MBR or GPT? for this reason, it may not see the linux on the disk you prepared with the bootloader. In these cases it is usually better to use Rufus

1 Rookie

• 

223 Posts

November 14th, 2022 09:00

You do not need all TEN, just 3 or 4.

1 Message

May 13th, 2023 10:00

Which file system are you using to write the USB device - MBR or GPT? Make sure to choose a file system that is compatible with your computer. Additionally, there is a possibility that the bootloader is unable to detect Linux  on the disk you created. In such situations, you can attempt to write the ISO  image using a different file system.

1 Message

November 5th, 2023 13:27

Here is my problem.   I have a live USB with Kodachi Linux.   This live USB works fine on another laptop I have.  I purchased a new Dell laptop recently and tried to run the same live Kodachi Linux USB on the new laptop and it fails.  I have disabled secure boot already and the bios recognizes the live USB is inserted and I move the USB to the top of the boot list.  I restart the laptop and I get the Kodachi boot list where I select which Kodachi OS I would like to boot to.  I make my selection and press enter.   The problem is once I do that the screen display goes blank.   I know something is happening because the USB is flashing like it is going through the boot process, only I don't see it on the screen.   I end up shutting shutting off power because it never does anything beyond showing a blank screen.  I need help to resolve.  Again the same USB works on at least two other computers with no issues like this.

Here are the specs for the lapmargin: 0;">Inspiron 16 2-in-1 (7630)
13th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1360P (18 MB cache, 12 cores, 16 threads, up to 5.00 GHz Turbo)
Windows 11 Pro, English, French, Spanish
NVIDIA® GeForce® MX550, 2 GB GDDR6
16 GB: LPDDR5, 4800 MT/s (onboard)
1 TB, M.2, PCIe NVMe, SSD
16", UHD+ 3840x2400, 60Hz, OLED, Touch, WVA, 400 nit, ComfortView Plus
Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211, 2x2, 802.11ax, Bluetooth® wireless card
6 Cell, 86 Wh, integrated
65W Type-C Adapter
Carbon Black Power Button with Finger Print Reader

No Events found!