Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

4 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 06:00

Upgrade LCD Dell Inspiron 5577 to IPS 4K

Hi people, everything good?

I am studying the possibility of updating the LCD of my Dell Inspiron 5577 for a 4K IPS screen, I found this screen as an example: LTN156FL02-101.

I know there is a version of my notebook with a touch screen and 4K, so I believe that what I want to do is possible.

From what I've researched so far, the only thing I need to do is to change the EDP cable, my current has 30 pins, and the 4K screens use the 40 pins, I found the 40 pins cable even used in the 4K version of the Dell Inspiron 5577 with 4K touch screen.

I believe that because my notebook exists this version 4K, should work, what could harm me would be something on the motherboard that would be different between versions. Because the rest are all the same, both models have dedicated video card that stand the quiet resolution.

Anyone here ever made any kind of change like that and had any positive or negative results?

What do you think?

Thank you guys!!

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2018 06:00

If you purchase a compatible screen, it will work.  That said, be prepared for the downside of a 4K screen - much slower video performance (don't even think of gaming on a 4K screen with the GPU in this system, for example), and you'll see your battery runtimes cut in about half (i.e., if you now get 4 hours from a charge, you'll get about 2 with the 4K screen).  Also note that if you now have a touchscreen, or upgrade from non-touch to touch, the display assembly is a single unit that does not come apart - you will need to replace the entire upper assembly (screen, cables, antennas, back cover, bezel and hinges).

October 2nd, 2018 10:00

@ejn63 wrote:

If you purchase a compatible screen, it will work.  That said, be prepared for the downside of a 4K screen - much slower video performance (don't even think of gaming on a 4K screen with the GPU in this system, for example), and you'll see your battery runtimes cut in about half (i.e., if you now get 4 hours from a charge, you'll get about 2 with the 4K screen).  Also note that if you now have a touchscreen, or upgrade from non-touch to touch, the display assembly is a single unit that does not come apart - you will need to replace the entire upper assembly (screen, cables, antennas, back cover, bezel and hinges).

Yes, I have knowledge on the negative side, but I would like the 4K screen due to a better image quality, I do enough editions of images and videos.

I made the purchase in China of the cable that I need to put the 4K screen, the cable coming in I will do the test and put the result here, but I believe that it works without problems.

The whole logic of it is that it will work, unless there is some direction in pin orders or something like that.

October 2nd, 2018 10:00

5577.png7559.png

Motherboard Dell 5577 - My Laptop

Motherboard Dell 7559

we can see that they are practically the same

where the 7559 has a model that is 4K
probably works on my model 5577
pinning on the motherboard is the same, I made the purchase of the Dell 7559 cable, where it accepts to connect the 40 Pin 4K LCD

1 Message

October 17th, 2019 19:00

Did you succeed in installing the 4k panel?

1 Message

March 31st, 2021 01:00

Did it work? any problems so far?

Even I want an IPS display.

No Events found!