Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

7 Posts

May 24th, 2022 10:00

WiFi "Disable upon wireless connect"?

I'd like to automatically disable WiFi when I connect to Ethernet. Some wireless drivers have an option "Disable upon wireless connect". (See for example Automatically Turn OFF WiFi When Ethernet Cable Is Connected to PC.) But on my Dell Inspiron 15 2-in-1 I didn't find this option.

Is there something I can do to get this option? 

(There is this work-around How to Disable a Wireless Network Connection When a Wired Connection is Detected, but it's less convenient.)

You are correct in that the wireless connection is dropped when Ethernet is connected. However, the wireless adapter seems to still be active (as can be seen by the list of available wireless networks that it displays).

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Wireless does not work when ethernet is connected. To use wireless, ethernet must be disconnected--at least this is true on Desktops. 

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

May 24th, 2022 16:00

Yes some WIFI card vendors provide this as an additional feature. 

All Dell notebooks come with WIRELESS turn on/off shortcut thorugh function keys. My trick is use to Fn + (whichever key is set as a radio switch) to turn off wifi whenever I don't want WIFI. This is a hardware switch and turns the card off completely. 

Alternatively, you can automate this

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

May 25th, 2022 05:00

Usually the problem is that your WiFi adapter connection is shown as Disabled in your Windows computer. This is literally because your WiFi network card has been disabled, and the reasons that cause it disabled is various, such as your wireless network card faulty, or your WiFi adapter driver corruption.

May 25th, 2022 10:00

Thanks for the hints. It seems the neither the Inspiron BIOS nor the WiFi driver provide this automation. I'll look into the PS script from your link -- that's so far the most promising.

No Events found!