Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2018 07:00

really slow wireless

brand new Insperion 5500 with a qualcomm qca9377 only getting download speeds of about 25mbps.  Have a mac hardwired to network getting 330mbps, as second wireless mac is getting 110mbps, an older HP windows machine is getting 100mbps.  but this brand new dell is only getting 25mbps.  I've tried everything.  Unplugged and reset everything.  Shutdown antivirus and firewalls.  updated adapter driver. Ran Network Troubleshooter. Pinged the Default Gateway. Reset the TCP/IP stack.  Released and renewed the IP address. Flushed and reset the DNS client resolve cache.Nothing helps.  Any suggestions?  I'm connected to an Orbi AC3000 which is wired to a Time Warner Cable modem.  This is only this one device having problems.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 31st, 2018 08:00

First, read through this article =

SmartByte, troubleshooting bandwidth issues

Second, after testing, if the WiFi speed is faster with SmartByte App set to Off, you may leave it set to Off, or simply uninstall the SmartByte App.

2 Posts

March 31st, 2018 20:00

Thank you so much!!!!!!  I saw two entries, one for a Smartbyte application, and a second for Smartbyte drivers and services.  Removing the application did nothing to help performance, but when I removed the drivers and services, my download went from about 25Mbps to about 160mbps!!!  Can't thank you enough!!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 31st, 2018 22:00

You're welcome, glad I could help!  This SmartByte "optimizer" has turned out to be the culprit in a few other threads reporting poor WiFi performance recently.  It appears to be a tool that's only offered bundled with certain Dell systems and is intended to give network bandwidth priority to "foreground" activity like browsing and Netflix, and throttle background tasks like Windows update downloads -- but obviously it's not always working as intended.  Anyhow, glad you're squared away!

8 Posts

April 14th, 2018 04:00

I have a Dell Computer Inspiron 5748.

My wireless adaptor is slow.  I have gigabit wireless router download speed, newest on market.

Dell did nothing to fix, I got the Linksys AC1200 and it is giving me 150 speed but would rather get gigabit speed.  

I have no smartbyte application on my computer so what is my fix?  I like my temporary solution but would rather not have this attachment.

8 Posts

April 14th, 2018 04:00

Get a USB wireless adaptor, EASY FIX. LINKSYS AC1200 which can get up to speeds of 867 Mbps

Wireless Adaptor is not working at optimal speed.  I have the new Gigabit Wireless Modem (fastest on the market) and I am getting 8mbps on a good day.  My cell phone is showing 500 mbps.  See the difference.

I went to a local repair shop, they checked my computer and said nothing is wrong with it except the wireless adaptor.  They suggested I get a USB version for $40 Canadian.  It works fast.  I bought the LINKSYS AC1200 which can get up to speeds of 867 Mbps  and I am getting about 150 Mbps and it depends on where I am as the speed varies but wow, from 8 Mbps to 150 Mbps is fabulous.   If am closer to Gigabit modem then the speed is even better.

I had to pay the local shop to ge the diagnostic done which Dell could have easily logged into my compter remotely and answered it in a few seconds SO I AM NOT IMPRESSED.

1 Message

July 28th, 2018 18:00

Thank You!!!

5 Posts

September 12th, 2018 02:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3000. I tried everything, searched Dell tried their solutions nothing worked. I found this thread about that SmartByte that they install to prioritize video. I did as you said, well first stopped and disabled it in services my speed increased by over 200x's Thanks for this thread. Funny how Dell forgot to mention that this was the issue.

October 11th, 2018 16:00

I just did it and I do not believe this was the problem. Thanks.

October 20th, 2018 10:00

I just uninstalled the SmartByte app from my Dell Inspiron computer and internet speeds jumped from 20MBPS to 107MBPS!

1 Message

October 27th, 2018 19:00

Worked like a charm on Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series I5558-2148BLK  went from mid 20's to over 100 mbps after the uninstall of  SmartByte app. Thank you!

November 18th, 2018 08:00

I am shocked!  I have had this issue for awhile.  Everything I read pointed either to the modem or my internet connection.  I was about to walk out the door to see if I needed a different device or something different.  This was a one last effort to search here and see if it was my actual pc.  Strange thing, the same issue is on a Lenovo pc that I use on the same network.  Now I am wondering if this is causing a world of other issues.

You do ROCK!!

Thank you!

Susie

28 Posts

November 18th, 2018 10:00

The number of issues I read from Smartbyte has been crazy, Dell should just get rid of Smartbyte permanently. All it does is mess up your computer. And ditch Maxx audio too, everyone has issues with their audio drivers.

December 9th, 2018 07:00

Thank you very much ! A very frustrating two weeks attempting to figure this out. Removing the Smartbyte application and drivers was an instant fix!   

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

December 14th, 2018 16:00

Allow me to add to the chorus.   I have a brand new Inspiron 7777 "all in one" and my Gigabit Internet went from around 940 Mbps to 45.

I was going crazy until I found this thread.  Thank you ALL!

1 Message

December 16th, 2018 08:00

Same here! Uninstalled smartbyte and SB drivers and services and my speeds jumped from 40mbps to 130mbps! 40mbps was attained with a 5ghz wireless adapter. My native 2.4ghz wireless on my Inspiron15 3567 was only doing 5-18mbps? If I had found this before I could had possibly avoided having to buy that adapter? An issue like this should have had the smartbyte program squashed for all affected devices until a resolution was found? This is just common sense? Wow!

No Events found!