Start a Conversation

Unsolved

OA

1 Message

October 12th, 2019 22:00

usb c port for charging

Hi, can I charge my Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series laptop with a 60w USB type c charger through the USB type c port available in the laptop itself?. with a type c to type c male to male cable?

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

October 13th, 2019 07:00

This information should be covered in the User's manual available online.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 13th, 2019 17:00

@one above all  if you can't find this information on your own, you'd need to provide the full model.  "Inspiron 15 5000 Series" is a model line that includes many laptop models introduced over several years.  It's a bit like saying you have a "BMW 3 Series" -- ok, but that's not specific enough to know which kind of car you have in order to give a reliable answer to your question.  But if your system does support charging over its USB-C port, then yes you should be able to use a USB PD wall charger and a USB-C cable that supports USB PD in order to charge it.  However, check the wattage of the AC adapter that came with the system.  If it's more than 60W and you try to use a 60W USB-C charger, it will probably work, but you might see things like slower battery charging and throttled performance as the system tries to operate from an undersized power source.  There are higher wattage USB-C power sources available, but you'd then need to use USB-C cables specifically rated for USB PD at 5 amps (or 100W), because if you use typical USB PD cables, you'll be limited to 60W even if both the power source and laptop support more.  In addition, I've found that at least some Dell laptops will only draw 65W max from non-Dell USB-C power sources.

12 Posts

October 13th, 2019 18:00

I even don't have better idea of it. Don't you have the original charger? 

5 Posts

November 19th, 2021 15:00

Hey did you find an answer? I own a Dell 5515. It has a Type-C Port. I want to know if I can use a Type-C charger...

• 

25.1K Posts

November 19th, 2021 16:00

Hi There,

The system should support charging throught the USB type C- as it has power delivery which enables fast charging.

Regards,

Paventhan M

January 21st, 2024 02:00

I have a new P128F 16 inch Dell and it appears to be charging the laptop battery using a 45W PD fast charger intended for our S23+ Samsung phones.  It is not enough to boot but it appears to be charging fine.

No Events found!