Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 28th, 2017 03:00

EMCopy Logs shows Arabic characters as ?????

Hello

I am facing this issue with EMCopy logs where Arabic Files/Folders names are showing as ????

Example:

TH018 : 11:19:34 : X:\share\Contract-Dept\???? ?? ????\??????\????? ????? ?????? ?????? ??????? ????????? (??????? ???????) SIDCA2\???? ????? ???? ???? ?????.doc

I believe this is Encoding issue, log file should be in UTF-8 in order to see the Chars in the right form.

am not sure how to do that , since the file is created once the command starts running.

any idea how to overcome this issue ?

Thanks in advance

Mohammed Alshehri

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 1st, 2017 10:00

I found the resolution

Just need to add this parameter in the EMCopy command "/u"

The "/u" option force logfile to be filled up with unicode character set.

1.3K Posts

September 28th, 2017 03:00

experiment with "locale" command

450 Posts

September 29th, 2017 06:00

Mohamed,

I would suggest if it’s a large migration to just not use emcopy. There are other commercial options on the market that not only understand and handle it correctly by default, but also are far faster and easier to support.

My company, Datadobi for instance has file migration software that understands and even does prechecks on the source and target encoding, and stores all the logs properly in the correct language / Unicode.

If you want more information certainly drop me a line.

-Chris Klosterman

Principal SE, Datadobi

chris.klosterman@datadobi.com

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 30th, 2017 08:00

Hello Chris

Thanks for the reply , I know about DobiMiner and how advanced and helpful this tool.

But this is not big migration besides customer is not ready to pay for the License.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 30th, 2017 08:00

Hi SKT

I didn't understand your reply.

No Events found!