Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2013 12:00

Isilon Initial Configuration on node 1 serial not showing wizard

Isilon Initial Configuration on nodes are all powered on and all connected with all internal and external cables. Then when trying to connect node 1  using serial cable in order to configure the node 1 and create a cluster, it's not showing the wizard at all and the screen is just blank.

Any ideas?

yes but not working still. any other ideas please?

I am using a USB to serial cable (male) so i have a converter on top of it to make it female for the isilon...might that affect?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

correct serial port settings ?  emc14001137

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2013 13:00

i am using a USB dongle myself, works ok. What happens when you power cycle the node, do you see it go through POST ?

February 3rd, 2013 15:00

Osama,

Firstly, welcome to the forums and thank you for being an EMC customer.

As noted by Dynamox, consider power cycling it, but I would recommend doing so gracefully versus pulling power cords or holding down the power button.  On the nodes (even when not yet initialized) this can be accomplished by depressing the power button on the back of the node 3 times within 2 seconds.

Also, just to confirm, did you verify that all the nodes exhibit the same behavior?  That is, connecting to the serial port on the other nodes?  Sorry I figure you already tried but just verifying.

Message was edited by: Christopher Imes

CORRECTION:  Do NOT connect a monitor to the nodes as it has been noted as follows:   "If you boot a node up with a monitor connected, it will either stop posting, or potentially freeze the boot process on detection of the monitor."

3 Posts

February 25th, 2013 01:00

USB to serial adapters can be inconsistent based on which chipset they use (there are only two major chipset makers, FTDI and Prolific).  I have had better luck with FTDI overall.  I would test with another console device that uses hardware handshaking to ensure it is working properly.  I always like to map the virtual serial port to Com1 or Com2 as well, just for most consistent support with the laptop/OS I'm working with.  By default, the driver may map to Com7 or Com5.  Also check to ensure the latest driver update for the USB to serial just in case.

Make certain the null modem RS232 cable has the proper lines for hardware handshaking as well.  Some null modems only have pins 2 & 3 swapped and little else.  Testing with another device that uses hardware handshaking will confirm.  The KB mentioned earlier has the proper pinouts.

I have encountered several lower-end chipsets from both these chipset manufacturers that would not work right with the OS I was using for one reason or another, confirmed by searching the internet for others having the same issue.  You may have to just find a laptop/PC with a real RS-232 port or buy another adapter like the one mentioned in the KB.

Hopefully that gives you some additional things to try.

11 Posts

November 28th, 2013 14:00

Hello, I have the same situation I am trying initialize one node NL400 (new cluster) and the wizard for create cluster is not showing, I am using one notebook with the serial port without usb convert serial and correct serial port configurations in the terminal according the primas emc14001137 I can see the POST of the node normally with the informations about processador, memory etc, where I am wrong???

Thanks.

evertonlf

1 Message

March 12th, 2014 03:00

Same issue here...

NL400 3-node cluster, all nodes are up, trying to connect to serial port, no wizard showing...

HELP!

No Events found!