Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2017 07:00

Isilon - Pool Protection level change and the job that controls this

Community,

When you change the protection level on a pool is there a job that runs that performs the changes within the pool to accomidate the changes for the protection level?  If so what job is this and how do you see that job running?  How do you know when it starts and when it completes?  Are there any constraints for how this job will run?  i.e. if smartpools job is running the protection level job cant run at the same time type rule.

Thank you,

450 Posts

April 12th, 2017 08:00

Yes,

If you have SmartPools licensed then it is the SmartPools job.

If you don't have SmartPools licensed, then it's a 'SetProtectPlus' job. 

Either can be manually run, however, due to a low priority / low impact policy by default, it'll take a while.

I have a 3-node X200 cluster that I changed from Metadata R/O to Metadata R/W last night, and I set the priority and impact policy to 1 and high (not recommended, but it's a lab).  It took about 5.5 hours to move around 45 million inodes from HDD up to SSD.  That's not exactly what you're asking, but perhaps a good reference point. Once you start the job you can look at it in the GUI or in the CLI with 'isi job jobs view ####' where that #### represents the job id number.  And it'll give you a block based and lin-based estimated completion time given current job performance.  I like to just leave it on my screen for a while to see how it's going when it starts:

'while true; do isi job jobs view 3240; sleep 60; clear;  done'

Using that one line, and of course replacing the job id number you can just watch it for a while, use Ctrl+C to exit.

Hope it helps,

Chris Klosterman

Principal SE, Datadobi

chris.klosterman@datadobi.com

356 Posts

April 13th, 2017 09:00

So it looks like the SmartProtect is the job that makes the necessary changes to the cluster protection level when you make changes to it.

No Events found!