Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 19th, 2016 12:00

Isilon Simulator 8.0.0

Does anyone know where to find the OVA releases of the Isilon Simulator?

I can only find the zip versions for Workstation on the EMC Support site (when the manual refers to either OVA or ZIP type installs)..

ESXi doesn't seem to detect the vmdk's as compatible disks, as these were intended for workstation...

2 Posts

March 14th, 2016 10:00

Hello,

FYI, the OneFS 8.0 Simulator zip is now updated and includes the OVA

https://download.emc.com/downloads/DL65025_Isilon_OneFS_8.0.0.0_Simulator.zip

33 Posts

February 20th, 2016 02:00

Hi,

If you want Isilon simulator on ESXi you have to use VMware Converter Manager.

This tool will convert the OVA to run under standard ESX cluster.

Regards.

Pascal

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 21st, 2016 20:00

old blog but should still work for 8.0

Deploying virtual Isilon on ESXi | Storage Monkey

11 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 08:00

Hey thanks for the suggestions..

At any rate, I already figured this out on my own over the weekend. I wound up deploying the cluster  in Workstation 12 (perhaps this version has the VMware Converter Manager built-in or something), I then set up the 3-node cluster exactly how I wanted, then cloned them by right-clicking each virtual machine, select Manage > Clone (it wouldn't let me upload these copies directly, but only the clones), then I had to first select the upgrade virtual hardware to the 'Workstation 6.5-7.x' version (to satisfy the destination compatibility requirement), and then final step is to right-click each virtual machine, select Manage > Upload   ...which lets you upload it to an ESXi host, and in my case I uploaded it to a vSphere 6 host (didn't work using the vCenter IP, but had to upload to ESXi host directly).

These steps worked great. I first did an 8.0.0.0 one but it would not allow to register to ViPR, so I retried another Isilon 7.2.0.0 cluster and that works to register the storage with ViPR.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.. As we all know, in VMware world there are many times multiple ways to get the job done. It looks like we have 3 ways listed here..

11 Posts

March 16th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for updating the thread with this info! That will simplify the process..

12 Posts

April 21st, 2016 12:00

Hello

What did you configure for low and high ip address? We have a 255.255.254.0 subnet mask.

Thanks

No Events found!