Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2013 23:00

NFSv3 poor performances on FreeBSD clients

Hi all

we are experiencing poor performances reading from NFS export to a FreeBSD client. Maximum data transfer is 50MB/s, while using a "in the middle"  ubuntu machine we can meet 150MB/s from and to the same directories.

Isilon NFS configuration is "default" for all the parameters; OneFS v7

Ube

December 24th, 2013 17:00

Firstly, welcome to the forums, and above all, thank you for being an EMC customer.

By chance have you seen the following KB article?  It begins with several general considerations and also includes specific client settings by OS of which FreeBSD is one of them.

OneFS: Best practices for NFS client settings

https://support.emc.com/kb/90041

2 Posts

December 26th, 2013 06:00

Hi Christopher,

thanks for your prompt reply; I've taken a look and I've applied those easy steps. unfortunately nothing happened, we are still tight to that 50MB/s transfer rate.

Regards

Gabriele

22 Posts

December 27th, 2013 20:00

Ube, Thank You for being a EMC Customer.

This one deserves a support case. This could be something with this specific client or something else going on in between that client and the node. Also could you elaborate what you mean by "in the between" Ubuntu client?

The NFS Best practice link Chris mentioned is a first step to ensuring the options between OneFS and NFS Client are set correctly. Next step is to ensure networking connectivity. Things like : Is there anything funny going on the client of the node interface? Anything on the switch ports? Anything to do with routes in between?

Lastly (and I say this lastly from experience), there are tuning methods for certain workflows like increasing prefetch on sequential reads etc and changing block allocation layouts. The EMC-Isilon Support engineers are trained to make these determinations as these settings are not "one size fit all" solutions. Most of the time (over 95% of the time) the defaults work perfectly in a "shared" NAS environment with multiple workflows. Performance tuning is a step-by-step process of elimination, so requesting you to be patient with the process

No Events found!