Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2017 00:00

Need some help in configuring NFS pools to use Dynamic IP allocation method

Hi Guys,

I need some help in setting up Dynamic IP allocation method for our NFS pool, currently our NFS pools are configured with static and we have exchange using those NFS Data stores which are mounted on VM's

we have 8 nodes in 1 cluster and 7 Nodes in another cluster and on both clusters our NFS pools are configured with static IP allocation

IP range for 8 node pool is x.x.x.206 - x.x.x.217

IP range for 7 Node Pool is x.x.x.71 - x.x.x.82

will the IP range by sufficient and I believe we just need to change from static to Dynamic in smart connect advanced section and also would downtime be required and how do I test it if automatic failover is working for the NFS pools-is it by rebooting some nodes one at a time?

252 Posts

September 20th, 2017 12:00

Hi PriyalP7,

There is instruction in the OneFS Administration Guides for changing a pool from Static to Dynamic. In my opinion, I think it is easiest from the network settings in the webUI.

In terms of IP addresses, it depends on your workflow. You should have at least enough for every node to have one address, Just understand depending on the failover policy that you have, you may have some nodes with no IP addresses. That scenario becomes more likely the smaller the range. There are commands to trigger a rebalance or to manually move an IP address as needed, but should be done during downtime.

Being when an IP address moves, it changes the network path, it will mean disconnects. You should schedule a window for this. You can test IP rebalancing by rebooting nodes. You can also test by removing and re-adding interfaces to the pool. I would recommend both so that you can see how long a rebalance takes in a node down and interface down scenario.

21 Posts

September 20th, 2017 23:00

Hi sjones5,

Thanks for the reply, well we have about 12 IP addresses assigned to the NFS pool and where we have added 8 nodes to that pool, so I guess each node will still have 1 IP assigned when we change the configuration

6 Posts

September 21st, 2017 06:00

We recently changed our NFS pool to Dynamic, and had EMC on the line.  I believe they said the change to dynamic was non-disruptive (nfs re-connection maybe?).

We had an issue and with EMC created another SmartConnect zone.  Oddly enough the representatives suggested a very large number of IPs (50) in a pool for a 5 node cluster.  I believe the reason had to do with managing individual connections, or how the system handles the IPs during migrations/rolling reboots maybe?

Here is a screen shot of the Dynamic IP addressing that was setup for us by EMC.

DynamicIP.jpg

This is 7.2.1.5

21 Posts

September 21st, 2017 08:00

Hi,

I'm confused about what should be the  Range of IP's to be allocated to NFS Pool for a 8 node cluster, I had contacted EMC regarding the configuration changes but they said its chargeable under T and M.

Well I think its better to get involved professional services team

450 Posts

September 21st, 2017 09:00

The proper math for the number of IPs in a dynamic SmartConnect Zone is N*(N-1), where N is the number of nodes. 

I wrote up the logic on why in this doc (on support.emc.com):

EMC Isilon External Network Connectivity Guide

See Page 10.

Hope it helps,

~Chris Klosterman

Principal Pre-Sales Consultant, Datadobi

chris.klosterman@datadobi.com

No Events found!