Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2017 06:00

OVT test - Is there a guide to understanding the output?

Community,

Does a guide exist that explains all the possible failures that would/should cause concern for the node?  I am getting some failures and not sure how to interpret them.  Let me know.

Thank you,

252 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 11:00

Hi chjatwork,

There is not a guide, but there is some documentation about specific errors. The test doesn't always factor in some common sense things. I know at one point it would shoot an error about not having an external interface connected, which you probably shouldn't have until after hardware verification was done.

There are some specific errors that have knowledge base articles that may be helpful:

468777 : OVT failure while adding X410 Node https://support.emc.com/kb/468777

^^ That is specifically for the error: FAILED  : mlx4_core0 is pci0:5:0:0 (should be pci0:1:0:0)

400316 : OneFS: OVT displays with "ttcp: unrecognized interface" error https://support.emc.com/kb/400316

424430 : Manufacturing Alert: All CTO and BTS nodes fail safe.id.busspeed during OVT https://support.emc.com/kb/424430

There are a few older articles regarding nodes that have reached end of life too. If you see something not covered that you are worried about, post it here or open a service request.

356 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 13:00

I am old school and just wanted to know if there was official documentation

out there that I wasn't aware of that could help me broaden my knowledge of

what the output of as showing me as I was getting some output I wasn't use

to seeing.

356 Posts

Thanks sjones5 this is the exact error I was seeing in the output. This is

right on time!

31 Posts

Hi,

Can I ask why you are running the OVT tool?

It is a very old tool that we generally do not recommend using anymore.    It was intended to check that hardware survived the journey from the factory to your site.   It is not ever meant to be run against a node once it has been added to a cluster.  It may also give miss-leading results when run against currently shipping hardware - claiming failures when there are not any.

Thanks,
Chris

107 Posts

May 5th, 2017 00:00

Hi chjatwork and all others, We have some issues with the OVT too and I created a SR with questions regarding the OVT. The answer of EMC support: OVT has not been supported for several generations of hardware and software, and thus was removed from all documentation. Regards Phil

6 Posts

May 5th, 2017 12:00

If isi_ovt_check is deprecated, has it been replaced with another tool or tools for the same purpose, to verify the condition of a new (or otherwise out of service) cluster more intensively than the built-in monitoring that is always running in OneFS? Or is it now considered sufficient, after installing a new cluster, just to observe an OK indication of cluster and node status?

Also, please consider this feature request: add a message to the output of isi_ovt_check to warn that it is no longer a current tool. From the postings here, it seems I'm not the only customer who remembers it from the Isilon Systems documentation and thought it was still a necessary part of commissioning a new cluster.

No Events found!