Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 24th, 2015 05:00

OneFS 7.1.1.x - displaying all smb shares

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if there is a command to display all smb shares on the box, without specifying individual access zones. I tried different delimiters with --zone param but it won't take it. Right now "isi smb shares list" displays shares in system zone only.

Thank you

117 Posts

June 24th, 2015 06:00

There's no built-in way to do this.  Have a look at this script to see how it does it: /usr/bin/isi_gather_smb_info

You basically have to invoke the command for every zone in a loop, something like this:

isi zone zones list --no-header --no-footer | awk '{print $1}' | while read zone ; do

echo "(Zone: ${zone})" && isi smb shares list --zone=${zone}

done > out.txt

104 Posts

dynamox,

As of now there is no "all-zones" option when using the isi smb shares list --zone=

The best way to complete this would be to create a for loop.

I have two zones, both with share, which you will be able to see in the next couple commands.

Showing zones:

isi720x-1# isi zone zones list
Name   Path
----------------
System /ifs
hdfs   /ifs/hdfs
----------------
Total: 2

Using a for loop to grab the zone name and list the shares in each:

isi720x-1# for i in `isi zone zones list --no-footer --no-header |awk '{print $1}'`;do isi smb shares list --zone=$i ;done
Share Name   Path
---------------------------------------------
break_it     /ifs/data
home         /ifs/hdfs/home
ifs          /ifs
mmcsharetest /ifs/mmcsharetest
share1       /ifs/data
share2       /ifs/data
share3       /ifs/data
share4       /ifs/data
test         /ifs/test
wmi8test     /ifs/scratch/wmi8testinstruments
Total: 10
Share Name  Path
--------------------------------
test-share  /ifs/hdfs/test-share
Total: 1

Adding in a quick header for the zone name, and some spacing for cleaner output:

isi720x-1# for i in `isi zone zones list --no-footer --no-header |awk '{print $1}'`;do echo "***$i Zone***" && isi smb shares list --zone=$i && echo "\n";done
***System Zone***
Share Name   Path
break_it     /ifs/data
home         /ifs/hdfs/home
ifs          /ifs
mmcsharetest /ifs/mmcsharetest
share1       /ifs/data
share2       /ifs/data
share3       /ifs/data
share4       /ifs/data
test         /ifs/test
wmi8test     /ifs/scratch/wmi8testinstruments
Total: 10

***hdfs Zone***
Share Name  Path
test-share  /ifs/hdfs/test-share
Total: 1

If you are looking to get an "all-zones" or similar I would recommend reaching out to your sales team to have a feature request opened.

125 Posts

> There's no built-in way to do this.

The suggested workarounds are great, but only as a stopgap.  It shouldn't be this hard to do; there really needs to be an "all" modifier to the --zone option.

I'll do a little digging to make sure there's not some valid reason why there isn't, then file a bug.

It's also a good idea, as suggested, to have your SE file an RFE as well.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 24th, 2015 07:00

thanks you folks but as Kip mentioned i should not be needing to loop for basic listing like that. Kip let me know if you find anything.

104 Posts

dynamox,

It is documented that there is no --all-zone or similar options in the 7.1.1 CLI Admin guide.

See bottom of page 362 and top of 363, for viable flags when using "isi smb share list"

https://support.emc.com/docu54199_OneFS-7.1.1-CLI-Administration-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

At this current time the for loop is needed. A feature request through the sale team in tandem with an escalation should be opened to work on adding in a new flag to list shares in all zones.

125 Posts

> do you need me to file anything through my local team to get more visibility ?

Yes, if you could have them file an RFE with Product Management, that would help immensely as it alerts the product managers to the issue.  I can then tie any engineering bugs to the feature requests and get both sides on the same page.  You can then follow the feature request progress through your local team.

1.2K Posts

In the output the actual zone name would deserve to be added with each share name, for all format types. That will make it easier to read/parse/search, e.g. when doing a grep for a share name or pattern.

Thank you

-- Peter

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

Kip,

do you need me to file anything through my local team to get more visibility ?

Thank you Shane, hopefully it's an easy change to one of your python scripts.

104 Posts

I would think the best recommendation would be to add a whole new flag all together something like --all-zones.

As using --zones=all, would not be the best idea.

Because a user could then create a zone called "all" and run into issues displaying shares for just that zone.

Same goes for any other specifier using --zone= to display all zones shares.

125 Posts

All good suggestions everyone, thanks.  I'll add these opinions to the bug.

125 Posts

June 24th, 2015 08:00

There was already an engineering bug open for this issue, but I've added additional comments to it. 

125 Posts

> are you saying my local team needs to file two requests ? I thought RFE was a feature request/request for enhancement ?

No, just have your SE file a single RFE (yes, those are feature requests).  The RFE's go to Marketing.  Bugs are an engineering thing.  People like me see both, and can ensure that both sides know about each filing.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

kipcranford wrote:

> do you need me to file anything through my local team to get more visibility ?

Yes, if you could have them file an RFE with Product Management, that would help immensely as it alerts the product managers to the issue.  I can then tie any engineering bugs to the feature requests and get both sides on the same page.  You can then follow the feature request progress through your local team.

are you saying my local team needs to file two requests ? I thought RFE was a feature request/request for enhancement ?

17 Posts

June 24th, 2015 10:00

I would also like to see this feature added to the product.  The ability to easily list all smb shares for all access zones. 

Does the same type of issue  exist with NFS exports at 7.2.X.X ?

104 Posts

June 24th, 2015 11:00

T_Koopman

NFS exports in 7.2.x and up will be treated the same way, the same "for" loop can be used, by simply changing the isi smb shares list to isi nfs exports list, or as follows:

isi720x-1# for i in `isi zone zones list --no-footer --no-header |awk '{print $1}'`;do echo "***$i Zone***" && isi nfs exports list --zone=$i && echo "\n";done

Please follow what kipcranford had said about opening an RFE with your SE, for both the smb and nfs to add a flag for all zones.

No Events found!