Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2015 02:00

Superna failover

hi,

i just had a question from the customer,

if we are replicating a Folder that includes a lot of other subfolders using SyncIQ, can we failover just one folder from those subfolders using Superna?

i mean that the customer wants to failover just a little piece of the Synced folder not all , for example

folder: SyncX includes folders (Y,Z and W)

we are using a SyncIQ job on SyncX folder.

we want to failover Z only using Superna, can we do that while not failing over the Y or W as well? 

57 Posts

August 24th, 2015 03:00

Hi

Eyeglass uses SyncIQ to failover the data and the sub folder scenario will

not work with SyncIQ since failover will affect the parent folders as well

and will leave them read only after failover.

SyncIQ policy for folder Z would need its own policy for this to work, from

your example, are all of these folders at the same level in the file system?

If you created a 2nd policy and use our DFS mode, or per policy you can

fail over a single folder.

If you want to discuss options you can send me an email to arrange some

time for a WebEx.

Regards

Andrew

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 5:09 AM AmrElSaher

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 24th, 2015 04:00

Failover/Failback is always based on SyncIQ Policies, no matter which software or script is controlling it.

If you want a more granular Failover than top-level dirs., you have to set up your SyncIQ Policies on that required level.

You have to take into account, that everything under the destination directory X is read-only as it is protected by SyncIQ and the only way to make it r/w is by switching over or destroying the policy.

17 Posts

September 2nd, 2015 02:00

so can we have any other work around to failover folder Z only (in my example) , an idea was to manually exclude this folder from the SyncIQ Policy and then manually fail it over?

i mean that will not be using Superna but i just wanted to make sure that there is a way to have the SyncIQ on the parent folder level while having the option of even manually failing over one of the child folders.

57 Posts

September 2nd, 2015 04:00

Hi Amr

The answers posted in this thread are SyncIQ responses. Nothing to do with eyeglass functionality.

Policies lock the file system read only for all children folders on the target, when SyncIQ fails over the file system, ALL children on the source cluster are now read only. This does not solve your customers problem.

Multiple policies does solve this at the cost of more policies to manage.

I saw your email this morning feel free to call me for a more detailed explanation of SyncIQ behaviours.

Andrew

No Events found!