Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2013 01:00

Writable Snapshot/SyncIQ DR site in Isilon?

Hi,

After checking all the documents I can download from Powerlink, it seems there is no way to have writable snapshot and SyncIQ DR site.

Snapshot:

From the snapshot part of , I can only find the "File clones" which share blocks with existing files in order to save space on the cluster. Do we have the "Folder clones" in Isilon(Just like Flexclone in NetApp) or writable snapshot(just like Celerra/VNX FILE)?

SyncIQ DR site:

From ,

Target protection with restricted writes—replication domains

Previous versions of SynclQ strongly recommended that you restrict write permissions on target directories. This is now enforced by SynclQ via protected replication domains. As such, all writes outside of a SynclQ process are disabled on any directory that is a target for a SynclQ job. However, if you break the association between a target and a source, the target then returns to a writeable state. Resolving a broken association will force a full resynchronization to occur at the next job run. Every SynclQ policy has a direct 1:1 association with its target directory, and all sub-directories. Restricted writes prevent modification, creation, deletion, or movement of any files within the target path of a SynclQ job, and prevent movement or creation of hard links to any files into orout of the target path of a SynclQ job.

My understanding is there is NO way to make the DR writable for application test. If we touch the DR site data manually, we need a full copy. Hopefully, Isilon will provide the function like swithover in Celerra/VNX or we can manually change the state in DR site like NetApp. I know we can do failover/failback, but this is not the option for testing purpose.

Lack of the writable snapshot/DR site, we can't perform Application testing.

Thanks very much.

57 Posts

March 8th, 2015 16:00

Hi I wanted to comment on this thread as my company has an automated solution to this for DR. We have automation to move folders and have control of syncIQ policies to automate a copy of production data for application testing. Let us know what other requirements you have. The new product targets this exact problem in this thread with a supported virtual appliance being sold through EMC Select and EMC Brokerage. My company developed this product working closely with EMC. Feel free to email me about it or enhancements you see the need for. The product page is here http://superna.net/eyeglass-isilon/

Online free training on the solution in a virtual lab with 2 clusters can be requested here http://superna.net/eyeglassonlineform/

Let us know how we can help

Andrew

122 Posts

April 8th, 2015 11:00

Hello Jonathan,

This is not possible as synciq holds a lock on source and target cluster and avoid to make any changes on target cluster you need to break policy to make it writeable.

Thanks

February 29th, 2016 06:00

We're having this same issue.  Since the DR copy of the data is write restricted (appropriately) and we need to continue replication during a DR exercise, the ability to create a writable clone based on a snapshot would be ideal.

Something like isi clone is what we're looking for.

What we've done (for now) is make a second cascaded Sync on the DR cluster and then break the association, allow writes, DR Test, and then put it back when we're done.

That allows replication to continue even during a DR exercise.  Downside is it's pretty much running all the time, so we're using twice as much storage on the DR Isilon as we should be.  Yes, we can dedupe the DR side, but that's also a kludge.

IMHO, this is a huge shortcoming in the product and EMC needs to get it resolved.

57 Posts

February 29th, 2016 13:00

Hi Vankley,

Superna eyeglass is launching new feature to automate live DR testing http://site.superna.net/products/eyeglass-isilon/feature-matrix#TOC-LiveOPS-DR-Test-Automation-Feature---Requires-Enterprise-level-license-keys-

It does require 3rd copy of the data on the DR cluster but on top of allowing the data to be synced, we copy the production share, export configuration into a test access zone so that permissions, etc.. are mirrored from production.  You can control how much data to sync by creating a policy to grab only a portion of the dr data for testing in the test access zone.

If interested in this solution let me know. 

I can be reached at Andrew.MacKay@superna.net

Regards

Andrew

1.2K Posts

March 1st, 2016 01:00

> It does require 3rd copy of the data on the DR cluster b

Andrew, why not using OneFS file cloning here?

curious

-- Peter

57 Posts

March 1st, 2016 04:00

We are looking at this feature as well to create writeable snapshots.   Its a file by file walk of the filesystem and would be a long process.   The first version we based on customer requirement and SyncIQ is much faster to create testable copy (at the cost of disk space).

Regards

Andrew

15 Posts

June 27th, 2017 12:00

Hi Vankely,

Good day!

Seems like your explaination on DR testing is very useful to our environment.Do you think which is best way to do DR testing on Isilon?

1) Creating clone

2) Creating second SyncIQ copy ,which need more space on DR Isilon..

Best Regards,

Akhil G

No Events found!