Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2016 23:00

how to move a specific dynamic ip in OneFSv8.0

Hi all,

I want to move a specific dynamic ip to another node using CLI.

In OneFSv7.2 or OneFSv7.1, 'isi networks support sc_put_ip' is available

to assign a dynamic ip to a spefic node and nic, but I can't find the common command

in OneFS-8.0.1-CLI-Administration-Guide.pdf.

I tried to execute the command but 'isi network support' command isn't provided.

Does anyone know how to move or assign a specific dynamic ip in CLI?

1 Rookie

• 

107 Posts

December 13th, 2016 00:00

Hi masahiro,

starting OneFS 8.x you can use this and many other old commands with isi_classic:

isi_classic networks support sc_put_ip

Hope that helps.

Bye

Phil

December 13th, 2016 00:00

Phil,

Thanks, I can move the dynamic ip successfully.

21 Posts

July 5th, 2017 10:00

But does OneFS 8 support a more "correct" way of doing this? The classic command does not really sound like the right way to go about doing this? One would expect the feature to be removed in a later release?

We have allot of FTP connections in our environment, and when upgrading or failing a node, we need to control the ip allocation manually. If we just move the IP-adresse, all active FTP connections to the pool will fail, as the connections are stateful. We start by suspending the node and drain the active connections. After the drain (1-2 hours), we want to move the allocated IP-adresses to other interfaces, and then back when the service task has been completed.

34 Posts

July 6th, 2017 12:00

Hello Masahiro,

In OneFS 8.x while you can still use the isi_classic command, it is good to learn the new CLI as in the future those commands will go away. This old command has not been put into the papi as such the engineers did move it out of the isi_classic. Here is the new command,

Old 7.X CLI command: isi networks support sc_put_ip

New OneFS 8.X CLI command: isi_sc_put_up

Thank you,

117 Posts

August 9th, 2017 11:00

The command isi_sc_put_ip was re-added in 8.0.1.x

117 Posts

isi_sc_put_ip (isi_sc_put_up appears to be a typo in previous post) was re-added in 8.1, not sure about 8.0.1.x but definitely not present in 8.0.0.4.

foo-810x-1# uname -a

Isilon OneFS foo-810x-1 v8.1.0.0 Isilon OneFS v8.1.0.0 B_8_1_0_011(RELEASE): 0x80100500000000B:Tue Apr 18 15:01:57 PDT 2017    root@sea-build10-105:/b/mnt/obj/b/mnt/src/sys/IQ.amd64.release   FreeBSD clang version 3.3 (tags/RELEASE_33/final 183502) 20130610 amd64

foo-810x-1# isi_sc_put_ip --help

Usage: isi_sc_put_ip --sc-ip --sc-iface

Options:

--sc-ip=SC_IP        IP address to move/put (must be in a dynamic IP Pool)

--sc-iface=SC_IFACE  Destination node:interface for IP (must be a member of

the same dynamic IP Pool as the IP being moved)

-h, --help           show this help message and exit

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

mycluster-13# isi_sc_put_up

zsh: command not found: isi_sc_put_up

i also don't see anything in OneFS 8.x CLI guide ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 9th, 2017 12:00

thanks Yan, i will have to use isi_classic as i am on 8.0.0.4

Isilon developers consistency is horrible, every minor release and half  #@!#$ is broken.

9 Posts

October 23rd, 2017 12:00

The command isn't in the guide because it isn't meant for production use. The command was included in the "support" namespace because it is there specifically for testing/support purposes. It was removed because it was not a supported command. The later addition of the command as isi_sc_put_ip was done so that support still had access to it after it was removed from the customer-facing namespace. Running this command for production use is not supported.

2 Posts

November 3rd, 2017 08:00

To statically assign an IP should NOT be a support command.  Anybody should be able to do it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 6th, 2017 07:00

isi_sc_put_ip does NOT statically assign IPs. It just forcibly moves an IP in a dynamic pool and bypasses smartconnect. Once assigned, it will not necessarily remain on that node, it is still bound by the same rules as any other in a dynamic pool. If you want static IPs you can use static pools.

2 Posts

November 9th, 2017 07:00

I understand this. I would assign IPs then set pool to static. I just don’t have a method to move an IP anymore.

DRDCIsilon01-1# isi_sc_put_ip

zsh: command not found: isi_sc_put_ip

9 Posts

November 10th, 2017 08:00

Ahh, now that is a completely different discussion. When a pool is changed from dynamic to static, the IPs are all torn down and reassigned in list order, first IP in list to first node in list (nodes are arranged in list by lowest ID up). As new nodes are added to pool, they are appended to the bottom of the list and given the next available static IP. The method you describe would fail because you'd lose anything you try to force assign in the dynamic pool. The simple answer is that in order to specify an IP in a static pool, you need to remove the node that owns that specific IP and then add the node that you want to have that IP next - which is of course a really flawed method.

No Events found!