Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2013 08:00

message templates

Any one familiar with Isilon message templates or how to customize them?

We'd like to adjust the way/style quota notifications are being generated.

Regards,

daniel

1.2K Posts

June 10th, 2013 03:00

Sure, the (6.5.x) OneFS User Guide has a chapter on quotas, which includes a section "Configure a custom email notification template".

The online help, as linked from the OneFS WebGUI, also has it.

Peter

1.2K Posts

June 3rd, 2013 13:00

That stuff is pretty basic and can hardly be used for notifying end users.

We are currently writing our  own system, like others have already done (and mentioned, here or in the Google list).

The key limitations we found (6.5.5.x):

- Only the /ifs path is reported; end users would like to read the share name or the NFS mount point.

- Assume we you would like to generate an advisory message at 90% of the quota limit,

you can insert the current usage and the advisory threshold, but not the final hard quota limit.

So it is not possible to produce this clear message: "now reached 90% of 10TB, available: 1TB"

Other observations:

- Often regular reports on storage consumption by a group of users needs to be created for dept. leaders etc.

This is more than a quota notification system could provide, so it has to be implemented anyway and then

could also provide the more simple notifications.

- Assigning shares per user and setting *directory* quotas (container flag!) on these shares provides to end users

a very simply way to query consumption and limits at any time directly on

the mounted shares. That reduces the need for elaborate notifications down to

simple emergency notifications (as available through the built-in template message system).

On the other hand, standard user quotas can't be queried by clients on Isilon (at least not with NFS).

If you have more specific questions about the built-in template message system, just feel free to ask.

Peter

50 Posts

June 3rd, 2013 23:00

Currently we have a bunch of Windows file servers and we are used to their way of reporting. So we thought that it might me easy to adapt it to reports like this:

User xyz has reached the quota limit for quota on E:\users\xyz on server servername. The quota limit is 5120.00 MB and the current usage is 5119.52 MB (99% of limit).

1.2K Posts

June 4th, 2013 00:00

That's exactly the problem, I can't see how this could be done. The closest to get would be:

... the current usage is 5119.52 MB, which is over the 90% mark (which happens to be 4608.0 MB).

Where 90% is hard-coded in the text, and the other figures are inserted via template macros (current usage and advisory threshold).

Peter

50 Posts

June 9th, 2013 23:00

Is there a "how to" or description for adapting or using message templates?

50 Posts

June 10th, 2013 04:00

thnx!

Von: Peter_Sero

Gesendet: Montag, 10. Juni 2013 13:00

An: Pfuhl, Daniel

Betreff: Re: - Re: message templates

ECN

Re: message templates

reply from Peter_Sero in Isilon Support Forum - View the full discussion

25 Posts

April 17th, 2018 06:00

I have a client who would like their SmartQuota alerts to contain the share name or the NFS mount point, not the /ifs path. Peter said, "We are currently writing our own system, like others have already done (and mentioned, here or in the Google list)."  I don't really want to write something like this from scratch.  Can someone point me to any of these that I can use for a client?  Thanks!

No Events found!