Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2014 03:00

tool for comparison migrated data

Hi All,

I wonder, if someone have has gone through any tool which allow to compare migrated data with the original data in terms of file attributes and permissions on source and target. We are doing data migration of Netapp & Isilon to Isilon using different tools like rsync, isi_vol and synciq.

Regards

450 Posts

January 28th, 2016 07:00

All,

BeyondCompare is a great and cheap tool (no association with EMC) for comparing data source to target if you choose to use a migration tool that cannot do this natively and give you reports on it.  For comparing permissions, the best method i've found outside of commercial migration software is to:

1. Use emcacl to dump the permissions on the source saving the output to a .txt file

2. Use emcacl to dump the permissions on the target saving the output to a .txt file

3. Use beyond compare or another diff utility to compare the 2 text files.  There will likely be some discrepancies even if it's just from local users and groups, so understanding the output and what can safely be ignored is key.

This is by no means elegant or fast but it gets the desired level of assurance that everything made it across as it should.

Otherwise Dobiminer from Datadobi can do md5 hashing on every single source/target file during it's copy runs.  So can emcopy but with one key distinction.  MD5 hashing file content during a migration has a huge performance penalty.  With emcopy in the full and then every single incremental it has to hash every single file on source and target, which takes forever.  Because dobiminer keeps track of this information for later reporting, it still hashes all the files during the first full copy, but in the incrementals it only hashes newly copied or changed files, which decreased the performance impact a ton.  They call this feature "read-back verification" and it is enabled by default in the 3.5 and later releases to ensure data integrity.  There are other 3rd party utilities that can do this as well, I'm just commenting on the one I'm the most familiar with.

Chris Klosterman

Advisory Solution Architect

EMC Enablement Team

122 Posts

I would say use use synciq  its fast an reliable.

rsync also works great but  no incremental jobs

isi_vol_copy  has issues with some versions

1.2K Posts

> rsync also works great but  no incremental jobs

incremental is the *essence* of rsync -- what exactly are you missing from it?

???

-- Peter

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Just to clarify, my issue is not with migration tools, i am looking for a tool if available which can allow me to compare migrated with original data on source interms of file attributes and permissions on source. We have done the migration of data already. I wonder if  there is any tool help me verify the migrated data.

19 Posts

Hi, I too am looking for a tool to compare source and target directories, files and permissions.  Did you locate anything worth using?

Gabe Heinisch

19 Posts

Chris

Great information, this will help a great deal for my current project.

Many thanks

Gabe Heinisch

919-280-7112

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 5 ACTIVE™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

No Events found!