Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2009 05:00

1-TB RAID 0 on XPS M2010

Hi, all!

Noob here on the Dell forums.

I want to ask if anyone out there has tried installing two 500-GB hard drives on an XPS M2010 and linked them in RAID 0 for a total of 1 terabyte storage.  I plan to do this on my M2010, but I want to know first if this is at all possible for this model of laptop before I buy the components (actually, except for the hard drives themselves, I already have all components -- cables, caddy and all).  Are there any limits set by the BIOS or hard drive controllers or anything else on the laptop that might prohibit this?

Thanks!

30 Posts

November 19th, 2009 05:00

Why thank you again Crc2! This is a great post! Windows 7 turned your XPS into a rather fashionable boat anchor.

I was thinking about my process today before getting started. I will do a Windows 7 UPGRADE first instead of the clean install as I stated before.

That is funny that we both have Sony Vaio laptops.  Im using a VGN-NR385E. My only complaint is the battery lasts 15 minutes on a good day. My newest toy is an Asus EEePC netbook. I bought it for travel to the Netherlands. 6 hour battery life is great on the long flights. And its so light, but too small for everyday computing of course. Its an excellent tool to have in the briefcase. And you cant beat the price. It was cheaper than my cell phone. Hah!

Ok, more coffee then Im going to start the Upgrade.

Cheers!

92 Posts

November 19th, 2009 07:00

I just sent a letter to Dell complaining. I had to post it as their customer services department dont have an email address!!  It took 5 telephone connections including Ireland, India, somewhere else, and then back to the UK (where I live) to get the postal address. Hard work or what!

Had another new face appear on the subject who has exactly the same issues, so I am still beavering away. Must suggest something for you. Don't use the upgrade option when you start Windows 7. Use the clean install. As you have brand new discs I don't suppose it will make any difference, but then why try the upgrade?

Also once Windows 7 is up and running you will find a few upgradeable drivers in the DELL SUPPORT Site- one or two in the Vista 64 bit and the rest in Vista 32bit- but be careful. Microsoft will enable bluetooth for the keyboard and mouse, and I suggest you leave it alone. Installing the DELL 350 Bluetooth will be a disaster. It means you lose  bluetooth connectively with your phones, iPod and whatever else, but best to hang on.  Other issues will arise as aforementioned, but they are less critical. Ummmm- don't install the DELL SERVICE CENTRE- it is incompatible big time.  Best not to load the ATI video from DELL either, what Microsoft provides will work including Intel chipset, wireless and other more 'generic' drivers.

I am in semi retirement so with my business hat almost off, I just stick with my BARBEQUE (that's my XPS M2010's nick name) and the VAIO. I travelled quite a lot working for a Norwegian Company and throughly enjoyed my many trips to Holland, Denmark etc. Furthest West has been Florida I'm sorry to say. I suppose I am a stick at home type really. Incidentally when I started in business I decided to assemble my own PC's for the company because of the then unreliable qualities from buying off the shelf. However,  when I never had time anymore I started buying from DELL and that continues to this day. I mention this because I feel my next PC will be home made, then I have the benefits of buying components that have not been messed about with (like DELL and all the rest do to lower cost and increase profit). It's the only way I can see getting back to service and guarantess with Manufacturers, and own a machine that is upgradeable, and easily mantained. Have a great day (time here is 15:20). Best wishes. 

92 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 02:00

Just to let you know I have reinstalled windows 7 on the XPS M2010 and am happy to say it seems Microsft have been working hard to release new drivers since the launch date.  Don't know what DELL are doing- if anything at all- but the siutation has improved. I walked through a clean install slowly by installing the system first, then usual virus stuff, then Office 2007, so I could start taking screen shots and drop these into a WORD document. 

Being a new to forums I dont know how to upload the 1.1Mb document? Do I have to ask for email addresses or something? Incidentally I somehow got into another thread and realised you weren't a part so I jumped back into yours. How did the new drive installations go?

In brief the only driver I need now is the infamous (as in elusive) ACPI\DELL8010, much needed to restore functionality (F keys etc). After running the PC through this week I expect a few gremlins to appear, and will respond further in due course. But for now I can say Windows 7 can be installed on XPS M2010 and maybe a few other XPS models (hopefully)!

Time for a nice cup of tea but this time with a little smile on my face.

Best wishes.

13 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 07:00

When I opened this thread earlier this year and got no feedback, I thought I'd have to find all this out for myself.  And all of a sudden, here you guys are, doing it all before I could even get started.  Hehe.  Definitely saves me from all the work. :P  Sorry I couldn't contribute much to this thread though, seeing as I can't do what I had planned yet due to one missing component.  All I can do is wish you guys luck!  I'm definitely monitoring this exchange for future reference. :)

30 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 07:00

Good Morning!

My upgrade went very well. Previously, I had intended to do a clean install, but unfortunately I only have the UPGRADE  DVD's. I went from Vista Home Premium 32 bit, to Windows 7 Home 32 bit.

Everything is working. No bangs in device manager, blue tooth functioning.. There was an issue with video after an update., but another reboot solved that issue,

I wish I could say Im relieved, but I think the correct word is puzzled. I set out expecting failure, and was denied. I feel like theres a ticking bomb somewhere..

So thats my report..all is well...so far...

12 Posts

November 24th, 2009 06:00

Wow, a lot of interesting and useful info in this thread (which I stumbled upon after a search). I am in the process of preparing to do some of the things discussed here.

My M2010 has two 250 GB 5400 rpm drives in Raid 1, running Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I am going to install (next week, hopefully) Seagate Momentus 500 GB 7200 rpm drives with freefall sensors, also in Raid 1. I don't think this will be a big challenge, just replace the drives one at a time, letting the Intel Matrix controller rebuild the array each time, then use Vista to expand the partition size to use the whole disk.

I then wanted to do a clean install of Win 7, but that doesn't necessarily need to be very soon after the HD upgrade. Interested in seeing how things develop with the driver issues mentioned here.

One thing that worries me is whether, in either the HD or OS upgrade process, I will get stuck needing to hit some functions key or make some selection before the BT keyboard is communicating with the CPU. I may want to have a USB keyboard on hand just in case.

I wish Dell had designed this thing so that the keyboard is hard-connected to the main unit when it is docked. Would have saved a lot of grief over time.

30 Posts

November 24th, 2009 07:00

Excellent point I forgot to mention...you WILL need a USB keyboard to get into BIOS as well as the Ctrl+I raid config.

I installed 2-500G sata drives. Flawless. Its great to have the extra space. My XPS came with 1-160G. So its a great improvement.

Good luck.

92 Posts

November 27th, 2009 03:00

Hi- I have now reinstalled and after a week of trials got somewhere progressive- I think!

Have created a domain from which I can send the report  written while re-installing (a clean) Windows 7 again. I hope this report helps everyone looking for answers to upgrading their XPS M2010  to Windows 7. You can collect it from either URL listed below.

http://northernlights.me.uk/Dell%20XPS%20M2010%20reinstall.doc

http://northernlights.me.uk/Dell XPS M2010 reinstall.doc

Although there are mixed reports about Window 7 drivers, each machine may be different so to clarify mine is the standard version (not media-no TV tuner) and I upgraded from XP Pro to Windows Ultimate 64 bit.

The document for downloading is MS Office 2007 and the guys at fasthosts say it will open whatever.  However, if you need me to post an Office 2003 version then let me know.

Bottom line to the complete saga is that just two drivers need solutions and the M2010 should then be firing on all cylinders?  If anyone can help to crack these drivers it will be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks!

30 Posts

November 27th, 2009 07:00

Wow! This is great thanks.

I dont know if you saw in my post above, but my upgrade to Windows 7 on my XPS 2010 was a complete success.  I wonder if I do have a different build than yours. I did not opt. for the TV tuner, but I do believe I had the choice to customize many other things. And I am running 32bit. :emotion-7: 

I look forward to your checking out your links.

30 Posts

November 27th, 2009 07:00

WHOA! That first link is AWESOME!!! If your problem cant be solved after giving such a detailed document, then...im just speechless. :::deep bow::

Interesting about the ATI Mobility driver. I thought " I"did something to break mine, so I went back to ATI and re-installed the one for Vista and it worked! You should try the 64bit driver for Vista if you havent already. You may have stated that, but I havent gone through your document in detail yet. I just had to comment immediately at how impressed I am.

Ok, back to reading your document.

Thanks again!!!

92 Posts

November 27th, 2009 08:00

Thanks for that! It's just a humbleword doc though.  Lets hope some senior body in Dell really does read the forum and decides to do something. In the meantime we can't wait in hope eh?

The ATI driver seems to be very happy so far so I am not too concerned. It arrived from Windows Update and so has to be a recent release because it wasn't available first time around.

I am pretty sure your bluetooth and ACPI functions work because you are running some VISTA 32 bit drivers. Still surprised though; but I am running 64 bit which I am sure is part of the problem.  If you could check your device manager and take snap shots of the installed drivers this will help me to identify what is missing by comparison.

The way I take window snapshots is pretty easy and I hope you don't mind me mentioning if you already know. Open a blank word document. Go to Device Manager and open a window on a device. Drill down to the window with the device name and version number of the driver- if possible.  To avoid capturing the whole screen Press ALT and Printscreen to capture only the open window. Go to your document and right click in an empty space and choose paste.  If you then right click the picture you can choose the layout required to force it to run either in line with the text, or on top or below, or either side and finally in front or behind. 

Now time for a cup of tea (PG Tips- do you have this brand locally)?

Thanks again.

2 Posts

December 7th, 2009 14:00

Hi guys,

I also tried to install Windows 7 Professional x64 on my XPS M2010 machine, however, I was succesfull, intalling all but two devices:

- the infamous ACPI\DEL8010 driver (for Fn Keys)

- the camera driver (which driver should I use?!)

However, I have noticed, that many of you had lots of problems with installing the bluetooth 350 module, which I have tried installing for the last week, and finally succeded, and therefore I have the latest toshiba  stack 7.00 running on my machine (able to check the keyboard battery status, connect my N97 and so on..)

In order to install it you need the Vista x64 drivers R142181.exe, you can get that from dell website. Please have a usb keyboard / mouse at hand, since you'll loose connectivity during the install process. STEP1. Run the setup, which will install the drivers and lose the keyboard connectivity => after restart or hibernate the keyboard will work but the bluetooth device will still not be recognized. STEP2. Update the driver, in the device manager, by using the Microsoft CSR driver (windows update will provide this) this will find the device but the device will not start. After restart it will work (note that the ms bluetooth stack is installed at this time). STEP3. download the latest toshiba bluetooth stack and install it. (you will need to pair the keyboard after restart) !

If anyone, was able to install the camera driver under windows 7 x64, please let me know ...

Thanks

92 Posts

December 7th, 2009 22:00

Many thanks for your input. Together we may be able to resolve the last few issues? Anyone else out there who can help? My Dell XPS M2010 is tied up right now but later today I will point you to the camera driver that installed succesfully. I recall loading only the driver to avoid the bloatware it otherwise can be installed with. In the meantime can you identify where and what Tobshiba Bluetooth Stack can be downloaded?

Like you I have installed Windows 7, 64 bit. I am aware some 32bit drivers have been loaded but  so far they are behaving themselves. I am hopeful that in time Windows Update will automatically produce 64bit updates.. 

I have not given up researching the ACPI\DEL8010 function driver, and only yesterday concluded it is most likely nothing to do with the Intel Chipset, or, it is a part of their chipset that's currently incompatible with Windows 7.

Talk about fishing in the dark while Dell continue to ignore it's loyal customers.  Even my more formal letter sent to Bracknell two weeks ago remains unanswered.

Catch up later on then..

92 Posts

December 8th, 2009 12:00

Hi again, now back working on Dell.

I have downloaded R142181 but only found it under the 32bit section for DELL XPS M21010. I checked again, and  no Bluetooth 64bit drivers appear available. Are you sure you have a 64bit driver? (if so please identify or URL the page). I have tried R142181 before unsuccessfully, but I will try again following your procedure. Couple of things need your help  before starting-   

STEP 1. No problem.

STEP 2. Where does the Microsoft CSR driver driver come from?

STEP3.  Where can I get the latest Toshiba Bluetooth Stack from?

As for the Logitech camera driver (Quick Cam for Dell Notebooks) the succesfully installed version number is 10.4.0.1315, which is a strange thing because it no longer appears available in the Dell 64bit list.  There is a 2006 version, number 10.4.0.1317, and a 2007 version, number 10.5.1.1125b. Suggest you try the first that weighs in at 137Mb, instead of the latter at 154Mb. Thanks again.

2 Posts

December 10th, 2009 00:00

Hi again (crc2), sorry I was out of town for the last 2 days.

After decompressing the R142181.exe you'll get two folders (I also thought it is only for 32 bit versions, but I was a little bit curios and I found inside the 64bit folder with drivers).

- The microsoft csr driver comes from the windows update, that I run, when the device is displayed in the device manager

- The toshiba bluetooth stack 7 is downloadable from http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/Bluetooth/?page=download

All the best

Mihai (thanks for your support with the camera drivers, I used the .1317 and it worked flawlessly)

No Events found!