Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

September 5th, 2009 13:00

1525 - Plugged in not charging

I have an Inspiron 1525 running Vista Home edition which is just over 12 months old. I recently noticed the tool tip message when I hover over the power icon states ’Plugged In Not Charging’. Initially I assumed I needed a new battery however the new battery has the same message. I also changed the power supply alas to no avail...my laptop is now effectively a desktop as I cannot re-charge the battery. I Googled 1525 Plugged In Not Charging and was surprised to see this is a common issue with no apparent fix. There are multiple 'voodoo fixes' like removing the battery a number of times while pressing the power button, blowing into the power inlet, turning the laptop upside down, etc all of which lead me to believe this is an issue with the DS2 LIO, the power connection or connection between the LIO and Motherboard or the Motherboard itself. When I disassembled my laptop I found the heat sink and fan sit adjacent to the LIO board which makes me believe the issue is being caused by overheating and as such is an inherent design flaw. I would like to know if anyone else has any other theories or even better a fix :d

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 5th, 2009 14:00

The single most common cause of the problem is rough handling of the power cord, specifically the power jack.  Stretching, bumping or jerking the power cable will often detach the power jack from the system board causing a no-charge - it's common to all notebooks with the possible exception of Apples, and very common with cell phones, portable MP3 players, and just about anything else that uses a DC power jack.  Sometimes, a new AC adapter will solve the problem - that's the place to start, since it's far less expensive than the other option.  If a new adapter does not solve the problem:

A shop may be able to solder in a new jack (cost should run $150 or so) - otherwise, you will need to replace the mainboard.

2 Posts

September 6th, 2009 15:00

Thanks for the pointer ejn63 however I assume if power jack is damaged then the laptop will not detect a power sourc however this is not the case. When I plug in the power source (and I have tried a second source as you suggested) the laptop pickes up that the source is present however the dreaded Plugged in not charging message appears.

No Events found!