Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2016 09:00

15R-5521 won't POST

I was just asked to take a look at this 15R-5521 computer by an acquaintance... he said he was using the computer as normal, then at some point it froze and then refused to turn back on.

What is does now is, Power light comes on, HDD light flashes twice and then everything goes off.

I tried draining residual power, reseating RAM, booting without the HDD and also booting with either just the battery and just the adapter. The only thing that produces a change in the behavior is removing both sticks of RAM, which causes it to beep twice.

Here's a video of the laptop leds when I try to turn it on:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wwuwnpngfnzq5n/inspiron_15R.mov?dl=0

Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2016 10:00

Leave the battery out - will it POST?  If so, replace the battery with a new one.

If not, try one memory module at a time until you find the bad module or bad socket (should get 4 beeps if a module or socket is bad).

If one module proves bad, replace it.

If it's the socket that's bad or the foregoing shows no results, it's the mainboard that's bad - replace the mainboard (which will also require replacing the CPU, as it's a permanent part of the board).

August 7th, 2016 10:00

The battery I did already check and it's the same thing. As for the RAM, I tried without RAM and got two beeps but haven't tried all combinations of each module in each socket. Will try that just in case.

Also, took the keyboard off to make sure the fan was starting, and it is. (The ODD also makes a starting noise, which can be heard in the video)

No Events found!