Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2013 18:00

15R SE - Backlit Keyboard

Hi,
When i purchased my Dell Inspiron 15R SE  reviews and some posts on here from community members and staff mentioned it had a back lit keyboard . Mine doesn't and it's a feature I would really like. Should it have a back lit keyboard and if not is there somewhere i can buy a back lit replacement?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

It's not on all models, nor sold in all parts of the world.  What model  15R-SE do you (i.e., 5720, 5721, etc.).  It's listed on the BIOS setup screen -- F2 at powerup.

3.3K Posts

Hi Joe1992W,

Kindly let me know the complete system model so that I can help you with the solution.

If the computer was shipped with the back light keyboard, you can use the keyboard to enable the back light. Press < Fn >< F6 > once to turn on the keyboard back light. Press < Fn >< F6 > second time to decrease the brightness of the keyboard back light and pressing < Fn >< F6 > for the third time turns off the keyboard back light.

Awaiting your response!

4 Posts

Believe you should have it. Try hitting the Function key and F6.That turns it on.Hit it a second time should dim and a 3rd time turns backlit off.

Hope that works for you

Dave

6 Posts

April 30th, 2013 16:00

Hi, doesn't do anything, there is no diagram to indicate that it should either so i don't believe that this is the problem.

Product model is 7520 thanks!

3.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2013 03:00

Hi Joe1992W,

A lighted keyboard is backlit with LED lights so that external lights are not necessary to see the keys. If you cannot type by touch, a lighted keyboard is very handy for working or gaming in dimly lit rooms.

With the backlit keyboard any tasks can be accomplished at a faster rate, even when you are working in pitch dark conditions.

If you would like to purchase a back light keyboard, refer the following link which has contact numbers (US Contact information):

http://dell.to/14UCPMK

Note: These parts would be refurbished parts.

Awaiting your response!

6 Posts

May 2nd, 2013 15:00

Thanks for your reply. So to clear things up, you are saying that my laptop should not have shipped with a backlit keyboard? I'm from the UK not the US, do you have a similar link for uk customers?

3.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 03:00

Hi Joe1992W,

Inspiron 15R SE also ships with Backlight keyboard. It can be ordered at the point of purchase.

Refer the following link which has contact numbers to purchase back light keyboard (UK):

http://dell.to/17RiHqO

Please reply if you have any further questions.

June 15th, 2013 22:00

Thankyou for that solution. I didn't even know I had a backlit keyboard (I thought that cost extra). I did find the backlight by accident via a menu (would like to find it again) but didn't know how to adjust it. Thanks

Believe you should have it. Try hitting the Function key and F6.That turns it on.Hit it a second time should dim and a 3rd time turns backlit off.

Hope that works for you

Dave

1 Message

December 25th, 2013 18:00

Same problem here with Inspiron 15R> Keyboard backlight was working, now it is not - not what I hoped for on a one week old purchase!

December 26th, 2013 16:00

Thanks Dave that works a treat. - sorry about the delay in replying

No Events found!