Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 19th, 2014 20:00

17R LAPTOP MODEL 3737 MEMORY

Hi, I'm trying to find out just how much memory I can add to my laptop, it's Inspiron 17 model 3737, it has Kingston PC3L 12800S, 1600 MHz, 204 Pin, 4 GB install from dell and I was wanting to add 8 more GB to laptop to make it 12 GB, in reading thru some things on the computer it says it can support up to 16 GB of memory. But after reading in some of the forums people are saying that you can only add 4 more GB of memory. I would hope some one out there can help me and tell me that yes 16GB is right, and just adding 8BG to have 12GB is fine, Thanks Ben

5 Posts

February 24th, 2014 20:00

Hello, well I did some checking and to me it seemed I could add more than up to just have a total of 8GB of memory, so I ordered 1 stick of Kingston PC3L 12800, 1600 of memory the same brand of the 4GB memory the Dell 17r model 3737 came with, I wanted to stick with the same brand,So for the heck of it ordered and installed and well low and behold when I went in and checked system it is showing that I have 12GB of memory. So what it says of what I read on the computer was right, I can go up to 16GB if need be. But I think 12GB is more than enough memory for what I'm using my computer for, most web, and 2010 Office loaded like a champ with no problems. And is Duel Channel DDR3L SODIMM. So if anyone else is looking to up grade their memory look into your system and it will tell you. But 30YEAREXPERT Thank you anyway for trying to help me and I do appreciate you time and help. Ben

5 Posts

April 4th, 2016 13:00

It works!

Looks like Dell propagates some misinformation to "encourage" us to buy a new model instead of upgrading an old one.

Thanks to bentice33 I successfully upgraded my memory in 3737 from 8 GB (it was upgraded before from the starting 4 GB) to 16 GB. Just bought 2 x 8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 SODIMM 1.35 V.

Works like a charm!!! Windows recognizes this memory and I have no issues.
Now my 3737 is better than many new Inspiron models ;-)

459 Posts

February 19th, 2014 21:00

No, 8GB max

Memory
Connectors Two SODIMM connectors
Type:
Inspiron 3721/5721 Dual-channel DDR3
Inspiron 3737/5737 Dual-channel DDR3L
Speed Up to 1600 MHz
Configurations supported:
Inspiron 3721/5721/3737 2 GB, 4 GB, 6 GB, and 8 GB
Inspiron 5737 2 GB, 4 GB, 6 GB, 8 GB, 12 GB, and 16 GB

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-17r-5737_Reference%20Guide2_en-us.pdf

5 Posts

March 28th, 2016 16:00

This is interesting. I have the same issue - upgraded from 4 GB to 8 GB, but 8 GB is not enough anymore. A guy in the store told me I can upgrade to 16 GB, but the specs says otherwise.

I'm thinking if I can give it a try and put two Kingstons 8 GB in dual channel.

5 Posts

April 4th, 2016 22:00

Well I'm glad you are in the real world of not having to buy a Laptop to get what your needing to work with. Hey I'm Very Happy with my almost 3 year old Dell Inspiron 17 3737, and I'm only running 12 GB of Ram and I have had no issues with opening many Windows at one time, I think the most was about 7 or 8 not a lot but with-out the Memory Up-grade I don't believe it would run as smooth as it does. What also gets me too is that Yes they want you to think that you need to Up-Grade to  The New and Greatest thing their selling at the time to keep up with the Johnson's, You don't have to. And from the price point of this Laptop I have yet not been able to run anything I have needed thus far. So till I see something being put out their by maker's I don't see needing a new Laptop anytime soon.

I glad I was able to help point you in the right direction that help satisfied your needs, strange how something so simple can make such a big different in how something can work. What $80. Bucks vs $500. Bucks?

Have a good evening and enjoy your better than NEW Laptop!!!

Ben Tice

5 Posts

May 7th, 2016 08:00

I'm glad too. They're selling the same hardware in another cases as new models with much higher price, and they intentionally marked "max. 8 GB" in 3737 spec.

I use my 3737 for business and professional work, it handles everything, from developer software, virtual machines and complex applications testing, to even some media work (video processing and encoding) and 3D. It's a pleasure to work on 3737 with 16 GB of RAM, it's stable and never had any issues with it. But I had many issues with new Dell laptops instead...

With 16 GBs I can also open hundred of web pages at the same time and it's smooth & fluid. Of course I have also an SSD drive on board (upgraded myself too) and Intel Core processor.

I think this laptop will be a great work-machine even for the next few years.

Thank you for your help and support! Best regards!!!

No Events found!