Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

53 Posts

April 12th, 2005 01:00

2nd Post-Inspiron 4150 Keyboard Issues

Seems like reading in these forums, a LOT of people have had LOTS of issues with keyboard problems, of some sort or another. Makes me wonder if Dell has KNOWINGLY produced a slew of DEFECTIVE laptops or used defective components. I surely will find out.

It also seems that questions go unanswered, and the 'simple' reply has been, "tighten the screws' or 'contact support'.

Not acceptale.

How about REAL answers, REAL solutions, for REAL problems?

Now, hopefully, I can get a solution.

Inspiron 4150, keyboard characters erroneous when pressing specific keys.

Works fine with EXTERNAL keyboard.

Tried NEW replacement keyboard, same problem.

Ran Dell Diagnostics.

PASSED Controller Test
PASSED Stuck Key Test
FAILED Key Sequence Test
FAILED Interactive Test

Interactive Test Results: (keys that show in GREEN that are affected while pressing key)

KEYS AFFECTED:

(key pressed) (keys shown affected/also activated)
4 PrtScr-F10-F11-F12-End-1-2-3-4-7-8-9-0 LeftWinKey
5 Ins-Home-F1-F2-F8-F9-Del-Tilde-5-6---=-Left CTRL
R Num-PgUp-Q-W-E-R-U-I-O-P
T (key to left of PrtScr)F3-F7-Backspace-Tab-T-Y-[-]-Caps Lock-Left Shift
F Pg Dwn-A-S-D-F-J-K-L-;-\-Left Windows Key (F key seems flakiest)
G Esc-F4-F5-F6-G-H-Left Alt- UP arrow key-Right Tilde Key (by enter)

So, if it's not the controller (passed that test), and a replacement keyboard did not solve the issues, and an external keyboard work 100%...what is wrong?

4.8K Posts

April 12th, 2005 12:00

Guruuno,

Since this forum is a peer-to-peer forum (customers assisting other customers) and is not the same as genuine Dell Technical Support, to have your problem resolved, you will need to contact the Dell Techies.  This is noted in the Terms of Service for the DellTalk forums.

That being said, the problem that you describe can very well be caused by a loose connection anywhere within the system.  Since most connections are a "press fit" type of connection, excessive flex of the system chassis can cause a multitude of strange problems, including the problem that you describe.  Being sure that the chassis screws are properly tight will, very often, resolve problems such as this. 

It is also possible that since the keyboard connects to the motherboard directly, and the keyboard has already been replaced, that the motherboard may need to be replaced.  In order to arrange for a system motherboard replacement, you will need to contact the Dell Techies.  Contacting them by phone or over Dell Chat seem to be the two best avenues to get problems resolved.  Dell's e-mail tech support has a lot of room for improvement.

Steve

No Events found!