Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

July 25th, 2017 02:00

5110 bluetooth driver

I have a Dell 5110 W7 64 bit service code (Removed) that is getting random freezes that don’t seem to be tied to any certain task or usage. I recently reinstalled the OS. I think I have an idea what is the problem. Although a driver was installed by driverbooster or by me going to the Atheros site there would still be a yellow mark by the Bluetooth in device manager. I would like to try the Dell driver instead but I can’t determine which of the drivers to use from the dell site since there seem to be multiple options. Can you tell me which driver file I should use and how to completely remove the driver that is there so I can see if this is the problem? Thanks.

9.4K Posts

July 25th, 2017 11:00

Hi helpful55,

Thanks for posting.

You will need to figure out which wireless card you have installed.  You can do this by looking up your configuration from the Support page, or by entering your service tag on the support page.  http://dell.to/2uUDoZr

Once that's determined, you can download the file from there an install it. http://dell.to/2uUqElv

32 Posts

July 25th, 2017 16:00

It appears that by the numbers and designation windows installed the second one listed the 1702 for the bluetooth, and the third on the list the 1502 for the W/L driver. I am up to two hours now no freeze. If I get to three I am going to call it good. Thanks again.

32 Posts

July 25th, 2017 16:00

I have done that and when I do it only shows one application driver and two bios files. I have to click Browse all drivers for Inspiron M511R to get more and then there are 4 that may be what I need unless I am supposed to install all of them. Those 4 are:  Dell Wireless 1701 802.11 b/g/n Driver R309923, Dell Wireless 1702 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0+HS Driver R305773, Dell Wireless WLAN 1502 Half Mini-Card Driver R305243, and Dell Wireless 1701 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0+HS Driver R305240. The last three say they will self install. This has been a real pain as I have to run this laptop for hours to make sure that it is not going to freeze as I am not going to tell someone it works well when it may not be and I would like to get this done. Just last night I happened to first uninstall the Bluetooth device in device manager and then I redid that and checked the remove driver box. That seemed to fix this as the laptop stayed on for hours and did not freeze. Today when I restarted it windows went ahead and installed several drivers related to this and it seems to be fine now and there are no yellow marks in device manager. I’m thinking maybe I had better leave well enough alone as I don’t sure don’t want to get it messed up again. I know that although the drivers windows installs may not be the newest or best it seems to use the ones that don’t cause other problems.

Which driver to use if I do decide to do that? Thanks for the help.

9.4K Posts

July 28th, 2017 08:00

Glad your issue was resolved.  Thanks for using the Dell Community Forum.

32 Posts

July 31st, 2017 14:00

Unfortunately I still have the problem. I got about three hours and it got flaky then froze. This laptop is real crisp when it is not having problems that I think are related to these freezing problems. It is getting random total freezes that don’t seem to be caused by any specific task. It freezes whatever is on the screen, the mouse and keyboard. All that is left is the power button and the led’s. It may happen as soon as windows starts, after a couple hours of use or anywhere in between. Usually it seems to be pretty sudden, but sometimes it gives some warning something is coming up.

Memtest and the Dell hardware tests all pass. The only added program on to what the OS has is chrome. I updated IE. Nothing has been done to likely get any malware. MSE scan comes out clean. I have all current updates. I have run sfc scan and it always comes up clean.  chkdsk has been run and it repaired a couple file location problems. I have run defrag. I only have run in safe mode for a limited time, but that seems like it may not have the problem, which is likely since this is probably a software/driver problem. I may set it up on safe mode for hours to see for sure.

I can’t really follow the event viewer errors. I don’t even know if it sets any errors for this as they are so sudden. Are there some tests or logs I can send so someone can determine what process is killing this?

No Events found!