Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2015 22:00

7 Beeps / Motherboard - CPU error

I am having some trouble with my Inspiron 15z laptop as in I cannot get it to start. I get the 7 beeps which means that there is a motherboard/CPU error and I've tried all the "fixes" that I could find on the web but still no luck.

Searching through forums and websites, i have seen numerous people having the same problem and it is utterly ridiculous. This is a really expensive ultrabook and there is absolutely no excuse for it to have this issue. As Dell is completely uncontactable nowadays, I expect a Dell employee to answer this post with a solution apart from paying $$$ for a new motherboard. if anyone else can help please do.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 20th, 2015 13:00

7 beeps usually means a cpu failure. If you are still under 1 yr or extended warranty call support or contact Dell Support at the support web page: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&l=en&s=dhs 

If you are out of warranty, consider a new computer. Major repairs on a 2 year or older laptop are not cost effective.

We are mostly users helping other users in this forum, not Dell employees.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 20th, 2015 16:00

The CPU and mainboard are one part -- the CPU is soldered to the mainboard.

You really have two options:

Pay for a repair or,

Ask if you can purchase a warranty extension.

They'll cost about the same, but they're the only two options.

A certain percentage of all electronics will fail each year - about 25-30% of all notebooks require repair within the first three years, meaning a minimum 3-year warranty is a good idea unless you self-fund repairs.

No Events found!