Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2014 21:00

7950T GTX Video Card for M1710

Hi Everybody!

I've got had some free time as of late to try and revive my old M1710 with a dead video card. I was ready to pull the trigger on a ebay, but its sold from China and the model  7950T GTX rather than just 7950 GTX. Everything looks like it would fit well, but I couldn't find any info regarding the card. They claim it is a more stable version of the 7950, but I thought I'd ask before shelling out some cash.

P.S. I baked my broken card to life. So I'm hoping I won't need to replace it, but no sense in counting on a temporary fix. It'll be living next to my tv streaming anyway, not more games for the 'ol girl lol

Link to 7950T on Ebay: www.ebay.ca/.../121319184317;hash=item1c3f2fd7bd

121 Posts

December 17th, 2014 02:00

Hi,

I've fixed many of these Dell M series laptops.

I don't think you should try the 7950t gtx, unless you can't get a 7950 GTX

Here's a new one. (New! for less then those used ones in China (besides, if you ever have a problem you'll be lucky to get anything out of sellers in China)

Were you having issues with your 7950 GTX from the start? (my question goes to why you want to even try the 7950t)

Regards

Dagra

(PS- Pixiegirl19 is my wife)

[View:m.ebay.com/.../331062988719]

3 Posts

December 17th, 2014 03:00

I played a lot of games on it and thoroughly abused the GPU since 2006 when I bought it. It died a few years ago but was too busy to try and source a new card. It ran like a champ until the bitter end. I baked the card to re flow the solder and it got it working again a few days ago, but when I was taking it out I saw some scorch marks on the actual silicone part of the card near a few solder joints. I'm betting I could get a few months of youtubing out of it, but not much else.

The link you gave me is from another Chinese company (likely the same one renamed). The return shipping will outweigh the cost of the unit, so if they decide to ship me the wrong one, im screwed. I want to know if the 7950T is the same as 7950, but there is no info on anything I could search on. I talked to Nvidia, but it was about as useful as kicking water uphill. They kept telling me to contact dell even though it has Nvidia stamped on it and should at least have some manufacturing info.

As far as I know Dell just slaps parts together wholesale like every other computer company. The funny thing is I can't even get a number or email to contact Dell, for a big company, I would at least expect a place to shoot an email. I'd rather not call their fee for service line as I've waited upwards of an hour when it was under warranty a long time ago

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 17th, 2014 04:00

All of these share the same defective GPU design, and all of them are now quite a few years old -- so buying any of these cards is a huge gamble.  They may work for a while -- how long, no one knows, but they've failed in massive numbers so the supply out there is likely very short.

121 Posts

December 19th, 2014 03:00

I just noticed the seller was from HK too,  my bad.

They look identical. I thinking the T might mean it's the 7950Ti (looks like the T was sold in Mexico and Europe)

which would be the better chip.  I'm thinking if you do buy it (the seller I listed has a 99% which is awesome for HK) not only would you be getting the new one, but like you were told a more stable version (I can't find much in English about the 7950Ti  but I've seen other "Ti"  chips referred to as just T.)

I would use Artic Silver 5, and possibly a new fan for cooling it.) You just might get more years out

of it then you did with the original.,

3 Posts

December 19th, 2014 09:00

Problem with anything from China is they tend to close their accounts when they get too many negative comments and open a new one. Also they bank on the buyer paying return shipping when the item fails. Either way I managed to find a seller from Ireland that sold it for the same price and it comes with a new heat sink as a bonus.

If only I knew about that garbage heat paste dell put on, it might have not died in the first place. AS 5 goes on everything including my ps4 once it's out of warranty in 3 years.

121 Posts

December 21st, 2014 15:00

That's great, I've bought many things from Ireland,  with 100% success.

Yeah,  I put AS-5 on my xbox 360, my PS3, and will on my PS4 when it is out of warranty, too(in 2 years)  

Good luck with that lappy!

Dagra

No Events found!