Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

T

6 Posts

April 18th, 2003 16:00

8500 SCREEN BURN!!!

I got my laptop a week ago (7 days).  I use it M-F.  I have a screen saver after 15 minutes.  I have VERY BAD SCREEN BURN!  I can see the outline of my Outlook and IE windows in XP and the same outlines in RH8.  Is this normal?  Can I fix it? What do I need to do?

Tim

8 Posts

July 15th, 2003 15:00

Hello,

like TTP I just ahve my Samsung replaced with the Sharp, and the screen burn problem has gone (I tested it during more than 2 hours)

The Sharp image seems more clean, but I suspect my new screen to have a problem with backlight, because the samsungwas much correct .

An horizontal band (about 1/3) is visible on uniform color because it is darker than to top and the bottom of the rest of the screen. Dis you notice this on your new sharp ?

29 Posts

July 15th, 2003 23:00

I left the i8500 on all night without a screen saver running.

The screen was as clean as can be.

With the Samsung I would have had the residual images showing already.

I am very happy with this new screen!.

I don't see any opportunities with the backlight, I don't see any horizontal band as was mentioned.

Life is good!!

Thanks DeLL!!

July 18th, 2003 10:00

My display #4 (!) is a sharp (tm) too.
Had 3 samsungs so far.

no burn in at all, uniform backlight and color, surface is more glossy and not as matt as the Samsung.
Maybe the colors look 'different' when compared side by side to a samsung - anybody noticed that difference too?

after all that looks fine.

37 Posts

July 18th, 2003 14:00

I'm curious.  Since a lot of people have the WUXGA panel, what's it like?

I've currently got an Inspiron 8200.  Not only is the keyboard a bit flimsy (but I got used to it - hey, after spending "only" AU$8000 on a notebook, something has to give!) but the screen bothers me immensely.

It's as if it has a film of some sort on the top, like the grainy effect that some of the screen protector film sheets have, except this baby has no such thing on it.  Not only is it grainy but the colours are a bit washed out.  Makes web design a challenge!  And to top it all off, I get ghosting.  As in, black straight lines ghost a little out the edges.  Like an analog display with a terrible VGA cable.

It's not the graphics card.  It's not this particular screen as Dell have replaced it.  It's simply a flaw in Dell's choice for parts it seems.

Do the 8500 displays exhibit any similar problems?

48 Posts

July 18th, 2003 14:00

Evil,

My SHARP screen is so sharp (no pun intended) that it pains me to have this analog tube (trinitron) sitting next to it for the second screen.

Although it's good for color representation, as I develop web sites as well, so having an LCD and a trin is probably the ideal setup for making sure color is true.

Get an 8500 and run dual, and it's totally tight.

aaron

3 Posts

July 18th, 2003 21:00

YES! The Dell tech just left my office.  My Inspiron 8500 is now equipped with a new Sharp screen and the replacement keyboard.  I finally have some concept of what this laptop was intended to be.  The new keyboard is... just awesome.  I've seen talk about the palm rest as fixing the flex, but the tech hadn't heard of that.  Dell sent a new keyboard, and it is very different.  The keys now appear to be printed -- you cannot see the "sticker" appearance of the old ones.  It seems very close to the IBMs in feel.  And, the metal backing has far fewer holes, so it stays in place under pressure.

And, the Sharp screen.  Well, we'll have to wait and see.  But, it definitely seems more crisp than the Samsung, if not a touch darker.  Regardless, my experience with Dell to this point has been excellent.  I never even spoke to a rep -- just entered my ticket online and had someone out in two days.  An hour later, the Inspiron is back together and running like a top.

Thanks, Dell.

Message Edited by GrovesP on 07-18-2003 05:43 PM

3 Posts

July 18th, 2003 22:00

Wow - that's pretty good. :)

Thankfully, my Inspiron 8500 came with a Sharp screen (no burn-in problems for the two weeks I've had the laptop), but the keyboard is another story... mine has the "sticker" letters printed on it, so I assume I have the "older" keyboard that goes clickity clack every time I hit a key (drives me nuts!). Is the new keyboard quieter?

I have the best support package (gold tech support, 4-year warranty, everything) so I'll definitely try to get my keyboard replaced.

3 Posts

July 19th, 2003 00:00

Yes, it sounds just the way a keyboard should sound. There is no more loud "clicking" when the sound of the key echoes. And, for what it's worth, you wouldn't believe how much these things actually flex.  We managed to get the old keyboard into nearly a perfect semi-circle, without any cracking.  The new one barely bends.

23 Posts

July 22nd, 2003 07:00

Finally I got my SHARP (4th replacement), so I don't expect to have any screenburn anymore. It is more glossy, true, also seems to have more sparkling brilliant colors (less lcd-ish, more like the tube), I like that. There's a 2mm gap on the left (saw that mentioned somewhere) and the tech struggled to get the screws left+right of the dell logo aligned - had to take the cover off again, so he left with 200 fingerprints on the screen. What irritates me, my burn-haunted critical look makes me think the bottom 1cm is definitely darker.

Anyway, the sound is gone, getting the motherboard replaced now. Huh-huh.

29 Posts

July 22nd, 2003 15:00

I have left the i8500 on for a couple of nights overnight and don't see one hint of burn residual. This is truely an awesome screen. Plus I do prefer the glossy look of the SHARP vs the Matte look of the SAMSUNG.

DeLL has admitted that there are a defective batch of screens out there from one specific manufacturer's batch.

We all know which one that is. I am just glad that DeLL has now reacted to it.

11 Posts

July 23rd, 2003 02:00

from what ive heard both problems have been fixed.

1 Message

July 23rd, 2003 02:00

My 8500 should be delivered on the 23rd, its a 15.4 WUXGA.  I've been following the keyboard thread and the screen burn thread.  Once I get it, what on-site services should I specifically request from Dell, aside from screen and keyboard?  Do I need to actually be affected by burn-in before calling Dell to replace the screen, or can I do it pre-emptively? Thanks!

July 23rd, 2003 05:00

I dont know if this was asked (maybe I asked?) but would this be covered under warranty or can I claim manufacturer defect?  I'm a little over my warranty (it ran out in April or so) but I do have this issue and it's pretty annoying.

-SSZ

298 Posts

July 23rd, 2003 12:00

SuperSubZero:

I would recommend contacting Dell Technical Support to determine whether or not this would be covered. You can, 1) contact our Mobile Computing Hotline at 800-822-8965 for Corporate/Government Accounts or at 800-247-9252 for Direct accounts; or 2) you can email mobile_support@dell.com If you do choose to email, make certain to include a brief description of your issue.

58 Posts

July 27th, 2003 15:00

I've had my Inspiron 8500 for under 30 days now - and didn't know about the previous issues with the screen & keyboard that people had.  Thankfully, I've checked mine, and I have the "Sharp" screen per the configuration on Dell's website, and the keyboard doesn't exibit any of the symptoms other people reported.  I'd just like to say "Thanks!" to those that obviously complained a lot and forced Dell to fix an issue, even if they didn't "officially" recognize it as an issue.

I'm quite happy with my Inspiron; I only got the 1-year standard service with mail-in support, but I am thinking of upgrading the warranty if it's possible.  From what I've readon here, the complete care warranty can pay for itself should anything happen.  I'm very careful with my new notebook, but as we all know, they're called "accidents" for a reason. ;-)

Hans
The Amazing Cams!
http://www.TheAmazingCams.com

My Inspiron 8500 configuration:
P4 2.2Ghz
512mb RAM (factory installed, 2x256mb PC2100 DIMMs)
15.4" WUXGA (Sharp)
64mb nVidia GeForce4 Go
30GB HDD
Windows XP Pro SP1 (clean install)

No Events found!