Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 19th, 2010 22:00

9-cell battery for Studio 15

I've been trying to buy a new laptop and I've settled on the Studio 15 for various reasons - particular its long battery life.  I want this model with a 9-cell battery, and this has always been available in the past - but recently you can only configure it with a 6-cell battery.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this might be?

I've tried calling Dell to find out, or see if it can be configured manually - and the pattern is always the same: the claim is made that getting a 9-cell battery is no problem, but first you just have configure your entire computer.  Of course, this process takes 10-20 minutes over the phone.  Then you ask again about the 9-cell battery and they put you on hold, sometimes for up to 20 minutes.  Eventually they come back and tell you that it is not available, but that should should still buy the system as the battery only makes about a 40 minute difference (actually many reviews and dell's own numbers show this to be closer to 3-4 hours).  Later they claim it is "incompatible with the Core i3/i5 CPU" - how a battery can be incompatible with a CPU is beyond me, and furthermore you were able to configure this in the past, even with core i3/i5 CPUs.

Any ideas?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 20th, 2010 05:00

It's usually a sign the Studio 15 model currently available is due to be replaced shortly - - as production of a current model winds down, options disappear.

Chances are good a new model will be coming very soon.

54 Posts

October 20th, 2010 22:00

This site carries large inventory of all the Dell laptop battery fits models .

Good Luck!

http://www.eachbattery.com/dell-laptop-battery-c-66

14 Posts

It's usually a sign the Studio 15 model currently available is due to be replaced shortly - - as production of a current model winds down, options disappear.

Chances are good a new model will be coming very soon.

Thanks, I guess that may be it.  Still frustrating that the battery is not there, especially given it is still in stock on the parts page, and that the last few years of "Studio 15" models have all taken the same battery (so even if the model is about to be replaced, recent history suggests the battery may be the same).

14 Posts

This site carries large inventory of all the Dell laptop battery fits models .

Good Luck!

http://www.udtek.com/dell_Laptop-Battery_csf_1_2a_41.html

I didn't find any Studio 9-cell batteries there, only 6-cell.  Do you have a direct link, or is this just a quick astro-turf?

14 Posts

October 24th, 2010 11:00

Looks like the new XPS 14, 15, 17 models might be what was coming down the pipe - good to see they come with 9-cells, and claim good battery life, comparable to the Studio models (unlike the XPS 16 which had pretty dismal battery life).

No Events found!