Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

April 5th, 2008 23:00

A11 on Inspiron 1525 incompatible w/ Vista SP1?

I made the mistake of applying a BIOS update very close to the same time that I had applied Vista SP1 on aDell Inspiron 1525. After applying both updates, the laptop would consistently reboot when put to sleep (hardreboot instead of sleep), and would reboot instead of shutting down when hibernating after committing thememory image to disk. Rolling back SP1 would make the problem intermittent, but did not resolve completely. Reapplying SP1 and rolling the BIOS back to A09 seems to have resolve the issue.

Is there a known incompatability with BIOS A11 and Vista SP1 on the Inspiron 1525?  

5 Posts

September 1st, 2008 16:00

hi malcan i brought my comp the same time u did and already i have had problems. i have got the same problem as every1 else. everytime i try to sleep or hibernate it just restarts the comp and its getting frustrating. i was wondering what number/ email u rang/sent for help so i could talk to one of the tech guys as well

2 Posts

September 1st, 2008 17:00

hi RVMul, I posted the Dell Canada Tech Help number previously, however it was deleted because apparently under "the terms of use" we are not supposed to post any telephone or other reference numbers in this forum. Have a look at the Dell website where you bought the computer... should be an email address or tel # where you can contact the tech help department.

Good luck!

2.9K Posts

September 1st, 2008 17:00

Have you read the last few pages of this thread? There IS a workaround until Dell comes out with a final fix. Calling Tech Support is NOT going to accomplish anything, unless of course you want to waste a few hours on hold and listening to "support" people who don't know the answer.

BTW, the workaround is this: Open Device Manager, expand the Network Adapters section, double click on your WIRELESS adapter, click on the Power Management tab, and UNcheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

5 Posts

September 1st, 2008 18:00

Hi Dell/ all forum people,

I recently just brought a new dell inspiron 1525  (from UK), with windows vista sp1, with which i think is the latest bios avaliable, A13. I have already encountered some problems, but this new problem of not being able to sleep or hibernate is annoying. When buying a first-time-new-laptop you dont want errors popping up:/. 

I have researched through the forums and found numerous work-around solutions such as disabling different devices seeing if each different device affects the sleep/hibernate feature,  but not actual solutions to the problem. I used the method of disabling the wireless card, which i found most effective.

Below is a link which shows how to disable the card

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?message.uid=19121632#U19121632, srel post is the one i used on page 1 - message 9/15. (Please view the above link as its not actual disabling the wireless card but unchecking a box).

Remember this is a work-around solution not an actual solution, hopefully whosever responsible for it will come up with a solution and post it ASAP. Would also like to add, after performing this solution pressing buttons, 'fn+f1' does not make the laptop go to sleep instead it hibernates, which is another problem that needs fixing:/ lol. 

Hope this helps. So far its been able to sleep but its been 3hrs if the problem persist i will post another message, so you will know if the work-around solution actually works or not.

Dell, i dont know how to send you a private message so i will publish my problem here. Hope you recieve it and hopefully reply to it. I have had some problems with my harddrive. Everytime i install a program and decided i didnt want it, as it made the fan go loud:smileysurprised:the harddrive space keeps on decreasing. I lost 7gb of harddrvie space already. I know when you install something and then remove it, it dosn't go back to its orginal HD amount but it should go somewhere close to it. Mine stays the same after i removed the program from HD.

Also i have a problem with the fan of the new dell 1525. It seems the fan is suppose to be loud at times but after a while it should decrease. However my fan stays at a constant loudness after running a program (even IE):robotsurprised:. Is this suppose to happen or is there something wrong with the fan?

Finally i recieved this error, 'Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Netwrok Controller stopped working and was closed', just before i was going to disable the dell wireless card. Is this something i should worry about?

lol one more thing make sure you take in the fact that when buttons fn+f1 are pressed hibernation occurs not sleep. This is another problem.

thnks for your help dell/ people on forums

5 Posts

September 1st, 2008 18:00

Sorry i forgot to add after 'unchecking the box', (read previous thread + click on link( then you will understand)), make sure you shut down the laptop, then try set ur laptop to sleep. It worked for me after doing that.

September 1st, 2008 19:00

The fan runs off a thermistor, which monitors the laptop temperature and adjusts the fan speed accordingly. If you want to check out your fan, run Dell Diagnostics by pressing F12 when you see the Dell logo while booting up. It is a very long check which involves memory tests. You might want to call Dell tech support to guide you through the testing.

In my case, the fan error disappeared when I disabled the Dell WLAN card as described previously in this thread. When I find some free time, I will be writing to Consumer Reports magazine to report this issue since Dell has ignored the problem and continues to sell defective 1525 laptops. 

20 Posts

September 2nd, 2008 11:00

RVMul said:

<>

I have received this error several times now and I don't know what to make of it.  I have the box unchecked so that the card isn't supposed to go to sleep (and I'm assuming that's what people mean when they say they've disabled the card??), but since doing that I often get this message when I boot up the machine.

Sharon

6 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 20:00

Funny, after almost 5 months, my computer just came up with the same error: "Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Netwrok Controller stopped working and was closed."

3 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 21:00

yep the same error message with the dell card and hibernate sleep problem................and some solution dell???.........

2 Posts

September 7th, 2008 06:00

i made this acct just to inform dell and whoever is reading and moderning this thread.

i am having the same issue!

i bought the 1525 from bestbuy less than a couple weeks ago, and started noticing this issue.

this really stinks, and i went ahead and tried the solution with the turning off the wifi thing, and what happens?

i close the lid, and then windows doesnt even want to boot up any more! i had to restart it 3 times just to get it back to the desktop.

i dont know what is going on, but do not want to take any chances in getting a bad laptop and lose out on my money i spent on it.

i will be going back to bestbuy to return the laptop for a full refund.

i was enjoying my new 1525 until now.

you know what else stinks?

looks like this thread has been going on for months, and still no solution from dell except a cheap workaround, horrible i tell u, horrible!

8 Posts

September 9th, 2008 16:00

Slam-dunk solution found?

I replaced my original Wifi Card with an Intel one; no more unintended reboots since then so I believe this is the potential non-workaround solution.

Thanks Bill!

As a test, Bill graciously sent me an Intel mini-card to replace the original Dell card in my Inspiron 1525. Overall, it has performed well with some very minor glitches. There is a copy below of the email report that I recently sent to Bill. My only concerns for the "average" laptop user is that replacing the mini-card requires removing the bottom panel. The battery should also be removed and directions followed to avoid static discharge. Removal and replacement of the two small connectors to the mini-card requires nimble fingers.

Feel free to ask any questions.

I uninstalled the Dell driver, removed the card and replaced it with the Intel card. After replacing the battery and rebooting, Vista installed the Intel driver correctly. It did not initially locate my wireless network, but I manually connected.

I left the defaults in device manager for the Intel card (with the box checked for allow computer to turn off this device to save power). The computer correctly goes to sleep when pressing the power button or closing the lid and hibernates when selecting Fn+F1. The computer does not reboot when it comes out of sleep or hibernation (with the Dell card the computer would reboot).

The only minor problem is that the computer will not go into sleep mode based on the time that is set in the power options. This was also a problem with the Dell card. The display will shut off at the correct time, but the computer will not sleep based on the timer.

@mk3 wrote:

Slam-dunk solution found?

I replaced my original Wifi Card with an Intel one; no more unintended reboots since then so I believe this is the potential non-workaround solution.

Thanks Bill!

It's nice to know ... but unless Dell intend to send a free Intel card at no cost to everyone worldwide who have reported the issue (which I somehow doubt), then it's not a solution and we're still no further forward on the issue with the Dell card after all these months.

20 Posts

September 9th, 2008 17:00

I'm heartened to hear that replacing the Wifi card seems to fix most of the problems, but very discouraged to hear that a) it seems to require a fair amount of skill to replace the card, and b) the computer STILL doesn't go to sleep when it's supposed to from the passage of time.  I would really like for my computer to go to sleep on its own when it's not in use, and have been unhappy that it won't seem to do this.

Sharon

8 Posts

September 9th, 2008 17:00

Would the sleep on timer be a seperate issue from the unintended reboot?..   I consider the reboot problem to be solved on my computer with the new Intel WIFI card and I am now going to try to figure out why it sometimes hibernates when I command it to sleep.  I have never tried the sleep on timer function (I have with my XP desktop but not the new laptop)

I didn't feel replacing the card was very difficult.  I installed a bluetooth card yesterday and that was quite a bit more difficult.  For the WiFi card I recommend using a needle-nose or small pliers on the connectors and it's really not too bad.  almost anyone can complete the task with a small screwdriver and pliers.  *** Please follow the procedure in the manual to be safe from static discharge damage ***

No Events found!