PhilipJayyFry
1 Copper

AC Power adapter error message on startup

Jump to solution

Lately when booting up my laptop I've been getting an error messages that reads "The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match to power available.."

I just hit F1 to continue and my battery charges and everything functions normally. I've been using the same power adapter that came with it and have never used a different one. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong so why am I seeing this message and how can I get rid of it?

My Alienware R2 is less than a year old and is still under warranty if there were to be a hardware issue..

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

RE: AC Power adapter error message on startup

Jump to solution

Call Dell - they'll first send a replacement adapter.  If that doesn't solve the problem, the DC power jack or mainboard needs replacement (will be covered under warranty as long as the cause isn't accidental damage such as from a drop or bump).

0 Kudos
1 Reply
8 Krypton

RE: AC Power adapter error message on startup

Jump to solution

Call Dell - they'll first send a replacement adapter.  If that doesn't solve the problem, the DC power jack or mainboard needs replacement (will be covered under warranty as long as the cause isn't accidental damage such as from a drop or bump).

0 Kudos