Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2016 15:00

AMD gaphic card not detected on dell inspiron 5537 (Win 7,64 bit)

Hello,

I have an Inspiron 5537 and as far as I know, there are 2 video cards on this laptop that are supposed to be switchable ( the Intel one, and the AMD one).

The thing is, apparently my system does not recognize the AMD Radeon video card at all. It doesn't show up on my devices manager under Video Devices, it only shows up:

- Intel HD Graphics 4000

I tried to uninstall the drivers and reinstall the both of intel driver and AMD driver the installation goes well but after restart nothing happened as if i didn't install the driver and AMD still doesn't appear in the device manager.

I can really use some help in this.

thanks in advance..

1.8K Posts

January 21st, 2016 12:00

Hi,

From what I remember, depending on the choices made when purchasing the system it can come with either the onboard video (the Intel HD Graphics that you see) or a combination of the Intel Graphics and AMD Radeon discrete cards.

When you are on our support site to download the drivers, and assuming you used your service tag to pull up the drivers list, you should be able to click on a link to show you "System Configuration", which can show you the original configuration of the system.  (Under the summary click on components to get a list of what was purchased with the system.  Look for a designation of AMD Radeon HD 8670M or 8850M)

If there were a discrete card in the system, and it was functioning, it would show up under the Display Adapters in your image you provided.

When you installed the driver did you also install the AMD Catalyst Control software utility?  If so you can try this to see if it works:

1) Look in Windows Control Panel. You should see Catalyst Control Centre.

2) Open that.

3) Click “Power” and select “Switchable Graphics.”

4) Choose an application from the list or browse and select an application and assign the appropriate GPU.

If you would like for me to take a look at the specs of your system please click on my Dell Todd username and send me a private message with the Dell Service Tag of the system and I'll see what I can find out.  Please keep all discussions and troubleshooting here in this public thread so that others with the same issue can find how to resolve or answer their questions.

Todd

3 Posts

January 21st, 2016 18:00

the AMD card was running until the problem occurred and it suddenly disappeared from the device manager.

And now i can't undo this change.

Thanks for the reply..

3 Posts

Hi Todd,

Many thanks for your reply..

The problem is that the AMD card should be a discrete card in the system and it should be seen in the device manager as it was before the problem occurs.

I've downloaded the drivers directly from dell website but the  AMD Catalyst Control software utility was not installed and although i can install the driver but it acts as nothing was installed because the AMD card is not detected in the first place.

I don't know what happened but now i can't undo this change.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

As noted, this model was sold with an optional hybrid video system -- the AMD GPU is not standard equipment.  Use the service tag to look up the original configuration at support.dell.com -- it will tell you what you have.

You can also use the purchase price of the system as a rough guide.  Models selling for under about $700-750 were Intel-only -- those over that price generally have the hybrid setup.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If so, the only explanation is a hardware failure -- the mainboard will need to be replaced.

1.8K Posts

January 22nd, 2016 07:00

Hi,

What ejn63 stated is pretty much the truth.   If it was there before but now isn't responding then unfortunately those discrete cards are bonded to the motherboard and the entire board would need to be replaced.  Unless you can live with it just having the Intel HD integrated video.

Todd

No Events found!